My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Change

owls84

Premium Member
We have a few about why you joined Masonry but I am curious as to how long you have been a Mason and have you changed. Cookie cutter answers are ok but I would love to see "for instances".

JTM

"Just in case"
Premium Member
mos def. i used to drink alone... now i've got buddies that go with me. KIDDING.

seriously though, you put a 23 year old young professional in the midst of some 80 year olds that have every bit of their life together (some of them), some 40 year olds that are going through their trials and tribulations, and some other young professionals experiencing the same thing, and you're gonna get to see every stage of life all at once.

then you realize the mirror between those three stages (there are more, to be sure) and masonry, and you can really learn a lot faster than you could otherwise.

it's like i explained it to a 30 year old guy that was interested in masonry...

now, no matter how good your father was/is or how good a father you are, there's no way that you've learned everything about being a man. masonry helps tie together so many parts of life that i'm sure every man, young or old, can find something that they can learn from, instead of having to learn it the hard way.

people complain about all that's wrong in a lodge, but if there was nothing wrong with a lodge, we wouldn't need masonry. (two of the things) masonry is about life and education. if you were to read about them, and weren't able to witness first hand other peoples' faults and how they deal with it, it would mean so much less.

sure it's a shame that there is racism, envy, politicking, jealousy, and even hatred within a lodge... but dealing with these things makes a man wiser.

again, another parralel, and something i'm sure our ancient brethren knew... witnessing and experiencing these things is much more important than reading it, and that's why i say that it doesn't matter if you go find our ritual and read it. it won't mean nearly as much as the EA in the NE corner, kneeling at the altar, or any number of other things you get to feel and be a part of.

sorry for the poor grammar, awful punctuation, and complete lack of capitalization and run-on sentences (see the irony there?)

Hippie19950

Premium Member
I was Raised June 13, 2008 so from that stand point, I have not been a Brother Mason that long. I have been in Hearne almost 30 years now, and that is half my life. During these 30 years, I have been fortunate to have been surrounded by MANY of the local Mason's. They have each taken to me, and taught me how a Man should be and act. It was more that I watched, than they drug me down the road. I patterned myself after them, as I saw the things they did were good things for the community, and now I find out, further outside of the area. I want to be as good as any one of them seemed to me to be. I did not look for flaws, but for their journey to perfection. I have been afforded an opportunity to sit with many of them over the years in other than Lodge functions. Many are also Veterans, and because of this, I sat with them in meetings of the American Legion, and met with some at the V.F.W. when I would venture out there for a visit. These are the same men who made these little towns in this area, and had great connections outside, to help the local people. As has been mentioned in other threads, there has been a lapse, and those of us who dropped the ball are now coming around, and some being taught by our son's or Grandson's! I have had a career in Public Safety, so I am used to helping others. This Fraternity gives me the opportunity to continue to do that as I get older, but without the safety issues :) I hope to be at least half as good as those who have traveled this way before me...

Bill Lins

Moderating Staff
Staff Member
Paul, I couldn't have put it any better than you did. There are a couple of older Brothers in my Lodge who, more than just teaching me the ritual & floorwork, taught me how to be a Mason. They gave me a gift I can only repay by passing it on. May the GAOTU bless & keep them both.

rhitland

Founding Member
Premium Member
Before I was a boat without a rudder or tiller just floating along as the Lord took me. Masonry gave me the rudder and tiller to guide the boat with the help of the SGAOTU help for maximun effincency in life.