Christianity in Freemasonry

Discussion in 'Frequently Asked Questions' started by Purkaple, Mar 31, 2016.

1. coachn

coachn Coach John S. Nagy Premium Member

And some of us get to Stage 6"Universalizing" faith: we maturely, thoughtfully and whole-heartedly realize and accept that the church (or religion) is NOT our faith, and it CANNOT even begin to come close to offering us what we need to explore-know-practice it. ;)

2. flameburns623

flameburns623 Registered User

"God" , the Immovable Mover is Absolute Truth.

What "moves" is our apprehension of Him, our understandings and knowledge of Him.

3. coachn

"Reification is part of normal usage of natural language (just like metonymy for instance), as well as of literature, where a reified abstraction is intended as a figure of speech, and actually understood as such."

"But the use of reification in logical reasoning or rhetoric is misleading and usually regarded as a fallacy."

From: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reification_(fallacy)

Bloke likes this.
  4. flameburns623

flameburns623 Registered User

For me: Church gives me the "fundamentals" which I need to know, explore, worship, and practice my spirituality, my faith. Like at least one other person here, I am Mormon, so I operate under a schema of multiple Heavens, of continuing Divine Revelation, with a conviction that Divinely appointed free agency means there are multiple paths.

I am articulating this more broadly than it is taught within our correlated ("officially approved") lessons. My personal, private theology is as likely as not to be informed by ProgMos ("Progressive" Mormons, more often than not on the periphery of what my Church approves, and who sometimes are outright rebels or dissidents).

I, myself, am not a dissident, btw: just soneone comfortable enough that I an able to hear sometimes challenging truths. But: part of being empathic, of being compassionate, is recognizing that official Church venues rarely if ever can provide a discussion of the peripheral and the chalkenging. In general, Sunday services, Sunday classes, and the youth seminaries, are designed for the weakest and tenderest of consciences. (I have the impression that our LDS college system may make some, discreet and respectful, provisions for deepening and broadening one's theological knowledge: but even there, things are kept pretty firmly in hand).

Not all ProgMos recognize that: a few are always trying to make radical changes in something or another. I am friends with at least one scholarly LDS member who is rather openly using his "calling" to provide aid and comfort to dissenters. Another former local leader does likewise. I keep expecting to hear that one or both of these are under Church discipline.

These are what I would term "Evangelical Progressives", and while I think these folks may aspire to a Stage Five or Stage Six faith, I am not certain they are not stuck in a Stage 3.5 paradigm.

But that is an internal, LDS problem, though some Masonic Brethren may belong to faith traditions which have similar problems with militantly disruptive or arrogant dissenters. Clandestine Masonic groups, particularly those accepting atheists or raising Women to the sublime degree of Master Mason, might be examples.

In any case: Freemasonry has some venues where I can explore things a bit more--though Masonry itself has both an orthodoxy and tender consciences which do not need to be offended. I see myself here to assist and to serve, not to shock nor repel.

Hope this has not veered too far off the track of this thread, which I took to be about Christianity and Freemasonry, specifically about the opposition of some Christians to Freemasonry. Be aware that such critics are earnestly seeking to provoke a sort of faith crises in Frermasons, to cause Masons to fear their relationship with the Divine is in jeopardy, that we have leagued ourselves with Devil worshippers and/or would-be world despots. Their motive tends to be that they, themselves are chronically on the razor's edge of a faith crises themselves. And laboring under a terrific burden thereby.

5. JamestheJust

JamestheJust Registered User

It is possible to be true at the same time to a few principles or entities. but being true to everyone and everything at the same time is obviously impossible. Hence Truth is not absolute.

6. coachn

Is that a fact?

Bloke likes this.
  7. Bloke

Bloke Premium Member

In the modern world, we're taught Truth is relative and to reject/ question it, and there are no absolutes because truth is relative. Is that True in a masonic system? Truth might be the the GAOTU exists, but ones understanding will mean what the GAOTU is varies... but the absolute truth the GAOTU exists remains..

Or are " absolute " truths just facts as Coach perhaps suggests. Or is our system an anachronism when it comes to its expression of Truth ?

8. JamestheJust

JamestheJust Registered User

I hope you won't mind if I say that the GAOTU is a human concept that may or may not be acceptable to the Source of All Existence - another human naming of the Unknown and that is yet another human naming.

As for facts: "from Latin factum, neuter past participle of facere ‘do’. The original sense was ‘an act’, later ‘a crime’, surviving in the phrase before (or after) the fact "

Thus facts (deeds) always exist, but more generally what are regarded as facts tend to come from various factories - universities, government media units, important books, politicians ....

9. Bloke

Bloke Premium Member

People who take offense to ideas in conversations are generally not good conversationalists..

coachn, Zack and Warrior1256 like this.
  10. Warrior1256

Warrior1256 Site Benefactor

Agreed! If you disagree do so respectfully and state your case.

coachn and Bloke like this.
  11. robertduran

robertduran Registered User

Couldn't have been explained any better.

Robert Duran

Warrior1256 and Bloke like this.

Share My Freemasonry