My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Civil War Traveling Lodge, 9th Texas Infantry

cog41

Premium Member
Looking for info on a traveling lodge in the 9th Texas infantry. Last known meeting place, what became of the lodge and membership rolls.

cambridgemason

Premium Member
Premium Member
A Military Lodge is sometimes sponsored by a regular Lodge or was instituted by members of a certain Lodge within that regiment. It was also instituted by a certain GL. The only thing I can say is check with the GL of Texas, if it was instituted by GL of Texas, then when the Lodge went dark they should have the records. Some Lodges may still be acitve such as American Union Lodge #1 of Ohio which started out here in Massachusetts around 1778. It had its charter transfered to Ohio.

cog41

Premium Member
Thanks for the information.

Contacted GL and am waiting for a response.

Have learned that GL issued over 30 dispenasations during the Civil War for these "traveling lodges".

Besides studying for myself, I'm also trying to help one of the brethren in Louisiana with some family research.

Thanks again.

cog41

Premium Member
Kudos and fireworks to Grand Lodge for their assitance in this research. Most especially to one Bruce Mercer in the archives department.

This is the second project to which he has provided assistance. Both times he has been courteous and quick with information.

May not be proper for the forum, but good service should be recognized.