My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Community rallies in support of Shriners Hospital

Blake Bowden

Administrator
Staff Member
Makes me angry. We can shell out BILLIONS to bail out car companies, but heaven forbid we aid organizations that CHANGE lives.

Nate Riley

Premium Member
The good news here is that they voted not to close down any of the hospitals and to reopen Galveston. I hope folks that are this passionate about Shriner's Hospitals and the many families they have touched will step up financially and otherwise to help with fundraising to get Shriner's through the current market cycle.

Now, prior to this summer (the vote), I heard or read several people coming down on the Shriner's for considering the closings. I doubt there were many Shriners who deep down really wanted to close any of the hospitals, but with the financial situation, the consideration was probably valid.

drapetomaniac

Premium Member
Premium Member
Now, prior to this summer (the vote), I heard or read several people coming down on the Shriner's for considering the closings. I doubt there were many Shriners who deep down really wanted to close any of the hospitals, but with the financial situation, the consideration was probably valid.

I will likely petition the Shriners in the new year, so I don't know the inner workings.

But this rings true. If they were bailed out it would come along with institutional changes to how finances are managed or accounted for or invested. But they aren't the only ones to lose their shirts.

I think those changes need to be considered on their own first. Closing the hospitals would have been the responsible thing to do - I honestly haven't heard any explanation about how all the hospitals can possibly remain open. My understanding is that extending the life of those few endangers all the others - but I haven't heard an actual plan for solvency attached to keeping the hospitals open.

My problem is the hospitals remind me of the internet bubble. The idea of free hospitals is an expensive proposition.

LRG

Premium Member
What value is money when it comes to helping our children?

It is great to see the public and government coming together to save the Shriners Hospital for Children. A vote that will most likely not pass by the Nobles'