Conferring Degrees

Discussion in 'The Voting Booth' started by Blake Bowden, Aug 14, 2009.

?

Does your Lodge Confer Degrees?

1. No, we have a district degree team

1 vote(s)
    1.1%
  2. Yes, we confer degrees in house

90 vote(s)
    98.9%
  1. Blake Bowden

Blake Bowden Administrator Staff Member

Does your Lodge...

2. JTM

JTM "Just in case" Premium Member

i've thrown around the idea of putting a degree team together.

have dues and such for just the team to buy our wardrobe with, travel expenses, etc.

3. rhitland

rhitland Founding Member Premium Member

we go solid black from head to toe with our degree team looks super sharp

Last edited: Aug 21, 2011
  4. TCShelton

TCShelton Founding Member Premium Member

We've conferred degrees for several other lodges in and out of our district.

5. Sirius

Sirius Registered User

I'm very proud of the work done at 188. Those guys practice once a week and put some heart and pride in it.

And oh yeah 148's OK too. ;)

6. Ben Rodriguez

Ben Rodriguez Registered User

We try to meet up for practice every Thursday night. It's not always the same brethren conferring the degrees though, I have served as Jr. warden and Jr. deacon, and last night I did master of ceremonies for an EA. It was exciting!

7. JBD

JBD Premium Member

I belong to Panther City and Cooke-Peavy Lodges.
    Panther City has been known to confer just a few degrees :cool:

I have personally done 2 EAs in the last 3 weeks. We do a lot of degree work in PC

Cooke-Peavy confers every degree we have to work, been a tad slow over the past few years, we have 3 EAs in the process now, we are waiting on their FC degrees - gotta get the proficiencies out of the way you know.

8. Bill Lins

Bill Lins Moderating Staff Staff Member

We do our own & help with other Lodges in the district when asked. It's a lot of fun working with those other Brethren!

9. TCShelton

Yeah, Rhit and I have helped out in a few of yours.

10. JTM

some nights we'll do three EAs or multiple of the same degree. we usually have enough to have 3 seperate degree teams.

we have a guy named this years "degree master" and he puts people into parts they can do. nobody has their traditional "spots" that they stick to... usually everyone does everything.

11. Bill Lins

That's great! Not only does that help those Brethren to prepare for a "B" certificate but it also makes them much more useful when helping other Lodges confer degrees.

12. Blake Bowden

Wow, out of 19 votes Gonzales is the only one who doesn't confer their own Degrees.

13. Bill Lins

The problem I've seen with "District degree teams" is that Lodges come to depend on them & lose the ability to confer their own degrees. Even if your Lodge has to ask for help, I find that preferable to not being involved at all in the degrees. After all, the candidate joined a Lodge, not a district.

14. Blake Bowden

I couldn't agree more. That's exactly what happened at my Lodge. Ever since a "District Degree" team was formed, they've been our ONLY source for putting on Degrees. Unfortunately, if your schedule doesn't meet their practice times (30 miles roundrip btw) your asked to sit out for the Degree. Including current Lodge officers.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2009
  15. Bill Lins

Now that I REALLY have a problem with! It's y'all's Lodge and your WM calls the shots, no matter what.

I've seen technically perfect degrees put on with absolutely no "heart" behind them. Does anybody think the candidate can't tell?

I'd much rather the Brethren did the best they can, as long as their efforts are recognizable as Texas work (more or less) and put their hearts & souls into it. I guarantee you the candidate can feel the difference.

masson likes this.
  16. JBD

JBD Premium Member

I agree with Bill. The purpose of degrees are to present Masonry in allegory, symbolism and word to the candidate - those words, actions and concepts need to be presented not recited.

I will volunteer to go to Gonzales and help y'all relearn the work. Get you WM to set up a Friday night/Saturday type thing - I would bet we can get enough people just from here to turn your situation around pretty quickly.

I also agree your WM is in charge of your lodge and the degrees provided.

17. TCShelton

+1.

18. rhitland

rhitland Founding Member Premium Member

I thought I drove to far to lodge 55 miles RT, I am quiting, you here that Tom and Scott, I am gong to Deer Creek!! lol

19. RedTemplar

RedTemplar Johnny Joe Combs Premium Member

If I may ask, what are A,B, & C certifications? Are there great differences in each?

20. JTM

the certifications are to prove that you know the work... you've sat in front of a committee on work member in a forum and gone through the work to their satisfaction...

C = q&a for all three degrees, tilers oath, and opening/closing all 4 lodges.

B = C + all parts of conferring all 3 degrees

A = B + the esoteric portion of all 3 lectures.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 17, 2009

Share My Freemasonry