Confessions of a Pin Collector

Discussion in 'Your Masonic Story' started by BroBill, Jul 18, 2016.

1. BroBill

BroBill Site Benefactor Site Benefactor

I admit it, I am an unashamed "pin collector". Then again, I am a collector by nature- military miniatures, musical instrument miniatures, patches, books (oh yes, hundreds of masonic books), and so many things I no longer keep track.

But "masonic pins" are the subject of my confession. I love a good pin, medallion, tie chain, bolo, decal, and coin. I should explain however, there is a reason for my pin obsession; different from all of my collections there is a purpose for my pins.

When I go to an event (meeting, conference, retreat, festival, reunion, picnic, whatever), I pick two or three pins according to who I expect my fellow attendees to be and never more than two or three or I defeat my own purpose. What is that purpose? Pins can be a good conversation starter, and they just might grab the eye of a fellow traveler searching a new path on his journey.

It usually starts with the question "can I ask you about that pin?" while pointing at one of the days featured pins. Then a conversation and maybe a new idea for a brother. A new organization, a new degree, or maybe he was just a fellow pin collector, always on the look out for new masonic trinkets. At a minimum, another friendly conversation with a brother.

Yes, I am a pin collector. And I make my pins work for me. And I do love me some masonic bling.

My Freemasonry and dfreybur like this.
  2. Travelling Man91

Travelling Man91 Registered User

I'm with you brother. I brought a "Forget me not" pin recently.

Sent from my 831C using My Freemasonry Pro mobile app

BroBill likes this.
  3. Bill Lins

Bill Lins Moderating Staff Staff Member

4. Bloke

Bloke Premium Member

I wear them and hence people give them to me, and I always have one in my case to give away. An unexpected pin is a great masonic gift, especially when you are the giver rather than receiver...

BroBill and Bill Lins like this.
  5. Warrior1256

Warrior1256 Site Benefactor

I've been an MM for less that two years and I have gotten probably two dozen pins without even trying. It seem like half the places that I go (visiting other lodges, various functions) someone is giving out pins and some of them are very nice indeed.

Bloke and BroBill like this.

Share My Freemasonry