My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Correct Masonry

Mike Cameron

Is there such a thing as "Correct" lodge furniture, gavels, placement of furniture, etc.? I would like to donate some furnishings to my lodge in order to spruce up the place. However, I do not want to provide incorrect furnishings. I read this:

MASONIC GAVEL

My lodge uses a judges type of gavel.

cemab4y

Premium Member
My brother, you are going to get many responses. I have visited lodges in 13 states, WashDC, and five foreign countries. I have seen all types of gavels and equipment.

One request, when you replace your existing lodge equipment, would you please consider donating the used equipment, to our lodge in Kandahar, Afghanistan. A lodge in Victorville, California graciously donated some beautiful officer's collars. Our lodge is sponsored by the Grand Lodge of Ontario (Canada), we have Americans, British, Australian, Dutch, members. Ours is truly an international effort.

If you can help us, please do!

Bill Lins

Moderating Staff
Staff Member
Is there such a thing as "Correct" lodge furniture, gavels, placement of furniture, etc.?

In Texas, the articles required to be in the Lodgeroom and the placement of them are spelled out in the Grand Lodge Law. I know of no specific requirements as to the type of furniture, gavels, etc. though.

owls84

Premium Member
There is a diagram of the placement of the furniture in the GLofTX Law Book as Bill stated. It is in the back by the forms. And I also agree with Bill on the type. However there is a list of items a Lodge should have found in the section on Lodges. I am sorry I don't have specific articles but I don't have my law book on me. It covers items such as supplies, initiation articles, and alter jewels.

tomasball

Premium Member
We have over the years gotten into the mistaken belief that the "official" design for jewels and furniture is dictated by the Macoy's Catalogue. I'm pretty sure that other than the general description of items (Senior Deacon's jewel is a s and c enclosing a sun, etc) a lodge has pretty great latitude in the form of their stuff. I have never found a requirement for the style of gavel, whether shaped like a mallet or the upright type. I wish every lodge had someone who could craft their equipment for them. It would be a source of pride in a way store bought stuff can never be.

Dave in Waco

Premium Member
Art. 223. (263). Security and Furnishings: Approval by Grand Master. No Lodge shall be set to work or constituted unless it has a secure Lodgeroom and anteroom, well adapted to the purposes, and the necessary furniture, lights, paraphernalia, and equipment, to include:
NECESSARY PARAPHERNALIA FOR LODGES IN TEXAS
1. Holy Bible, square and compasses (for Altar).
2. An Altar with kneeling pad.
3. Three burning tapers.
4. Pedestals - South, West, and East.
5. Three gavels. (Revised 1996)
6. Wardens Columns - South and West.
7. Deacons rods with emblems and stands for same.
8. Stewards rods with emblems and stands for same.
9. The Letter “G” in the East.
10. A ballot box. (Heavily padded inside.)
11. Ample supply of white balls and black cubes.
12. A Tiler’s sword.
13. Officers jewels equipped for suspension from neck.
14. Fellowcraft Columns.
15. The Flag of the United States of American with stand.
16. Texas Flag with stand.
17. A small Bible for Examining Committee.

FOR THE ENTERED APPRENTICE DEGREE
1. A hood wink.
2. A cable tow.
3. A sandal.
4. Suitable clothing.
5. A sharp instrument.
6. Twenty-four inch gauge and common gavel.
7. A Lambskin apron.
8. Lecture chart, slides, or film.

FOR THE FELLOWCRAFT DEGREE
1. A reception square.
2. A plumb square and level.
3. A square for the Altar.
4. Winding stairs.
5. The lecture chart, slides or film.

FOR THE MASTER MASON DEGREE
1. Reception Compasses.
2. A twenty-four inch gauge in the South.
3. A square in the West.
4. The setting maul in the East.
5. The canvas in the East.
6. A sprig of acacia in the West.
7. A gong.
8. The Master’s lecture chart, slides or film.
9. ALL THE IMPLEMENTS IN THE EAST.

FOR FUNERALS
1. A funeral Rosette with the Holy Writings.
2. A Charter drape.
3. An ample supply of arm bands.

This paraphernalia to be kept and preserved as the property of the Lodge. Such security, adaptation, furniture, lights, parapher-nalia, and equipment must be approved by the Grand Master or his authorized Representative. The furniture, lights, parapherna-lia, and equipment herein specified shall be the minimum require-ment for all Lodges now in existence or hereafter constituted.

Mike Cameron

I am working on a new alter first but while I am doing so I thought I'd buy new gavels. The ones currently used are the judge type. However I read that they are supposed to be modeled after the "Common Gavel" which is tapered at the rear. Also any pictures of nice lodge furniture (preferably in Texas) would be much appreciated. I am especially interested at this time in Gavels, "G"s, alters' and the lights. Thanks again for all the input brothers. Hopefully I will be able to inspire others to take pride in the lodge rooms.

I am attempting to post a link to what I have read:

http://www.masonic-lodge-of-education.com/masonic-gavel.html

tomasball

Premium Member
I would disagree with that website when it insists that a Master's gavel is necessarily shaped like a "common gavel." Historical usage shows too much variety, dating back to the earliest speculative lodges, to claim that there is a hard and fast rule on the matter. I would compare it to a tyler's sword...it can be fairly argued that a "true" tyler's sword should be shaped like a tongue of flame, but I have yet to see one in real life.

Mike Cameron

Thanks for your insight. I can see this is a fairly interesting subject. There seems to be a lot of conflicting information out there, which is why I love this site. It allows me to receive instruction and guidance from my brothers. Thank you all. Any more opinions?

owls84

Premium Member
I don't know if they are "official" but I absolutely love the sound of a raw hide gavel. Just awesome. You can find them on google and they cost between $30 - $40.

Bill Lins

Moderating Staff
Staff Member
There is a diagram of the placement of the furniture in the GLofTX Law Book as Bill stated. It is in the back by the forms.

It is Form #75. I tried to copy it to post here, but no workee.

---------- Post added at 06:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:35 PM ----------

As long as it isnt rough cut lumber the splinters are starting to hurt

What else would one expect in Lumberton? :wink:

Last edited:

Mike Cameron

owls84 said:
I don't know if they are "official" but I absolutely love the sound of a raw hide gavel. Just awesome. You can find them on google and they cost between $30 - $40.

I can't find a think about them.

---------- Post added at 10:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:56 PM ----------

gunter32nd said:
As long as it isnt rough cut lumber the splinters are starting to hurt

That is the splinters flying off every time our ancient gavels strike. Lol