Cowboy Hat

Discussion in 'General Freemasonry Discussion' started by A7V, Mar 23, 2009.

1. A7V

A7V Registered User

Just an ignorant question from a non-Texan.

Does the WM have to wear a cowboy hat in Texas? Can he choose to wear the standard top hat?

2. eagle1966

eagle1966 Guest

Law states only that the master be covered; so a mster of the lodge can wear any hat with a brim no ball caps

3. nick1368

nick1368 Registered User

our WM last year wore a fedora

4. A7V

A7V Registered User

That is interesting, I would have thought the traditionalist would question that choice.

5. tomasball

tomasball Premium Member

Many do, but it isn't prescribed. Usually, the Grand Master presides wearing a nice Stetson. To our shame, it became necessary a few years ago to officially explain to some rural masters that baseball caps are not suitable head covering.

6. rhitland

rhitland Founding Member Premium Member

Brother Hobie Wan Kanobi as we call him from Southside Lodge wore a Top hat, it is WM choice but I bet he got ribbed about it a time or 2. Some of us guys in 148 joke about wearing a sombrero, granted it is just a joke but I bet that would cause a stir!! lol :)

7. A7V

A7V Registered User

I haven't any lodges outside of my own, but I have seen many lodge photos from around the country and the WM seems to always wear the Top Hat, I am surprised he gets ribbed about it.

I imagine if I ever have the honor to sit in the East that I would wear a Top Hat.

8. nick1368

nick1368 Registered User

trust me there was some grumbling. i am a traditional at heart, but i also like to have fun and have started a hat collection so when i get to the East in 2 yrs. I will have a hat for ALL occasions
    May = sombero
    March = green Leperchan hat
    Oct= witch hat or something to that effect
    July= i am not sure of the technical name but is straw with a red white and blue band...short top hat kinda
    Dec some kind of Santa hat.

Share My Freemasonry