My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Craft Degrees the Same?

NY.Light

Are all the craft degrees in lodges the same as the degrees carried out by the UGLE? Or do the degrees and secrets etc. differ according to the norms and ritual of each Grand Lodge?

This is my first post on here. Just a little background, I moved from TX to NY a year ago, and I plan to petition a local NY lodge when I am old enough (21 according to GLoNY; I'm 19). Thanks in advance.

Sent From My Freemasonry Pro App

Brother JC

Moderating Staff
Staff Member
If you'll pardon a theatre metaphor... the basic story is the same, though the actors and script may vary. "Rent" and "La Boheme" are very different musical presentations, but are both based on the same tale. Shakespeare has been the inspiration for a number of movies, but you often don't recognize the story at first.
If you attended a Degree in a UGLE lodge I'm fairly certain you'd know what was going on, even though the ritual might seem unfamiliar.

dfreybur

Premium Member
The degrees are similar enough jurisdiction to jurisdiction that exact wording variations are a common topic of discussion when visiting. You need to have attended a degree several times before you will even be able to tell there are any differences at all jurisdiction to jurisdiction.

Rick Carver

Premium Member
The initiatic experience of Freemasonry, when conveyed precisely as stated in our ritual, contains all the elements necessary for candidates to attain an understanding of Masonic Light, even when those providing the Degrees do not themselves fully understand this. This necessitates that the essence of what is conveyed be the same, even if the dialog varies.

One difference between most US jurisdictions and UGLE is that in the UK, the Royal Arch Degree is (for lack of a better term) considered the 4th Degree. They consider it the pinnacle and a logical extension of the first 3 Degrees. Here in the US, the Royal Arch is a part of the York Rite, which is a separate body of Blue Lodge Masonry.

NY.Light

Would it be correct to say that there would probably be even greater variation across jurisdictions in regards to the degrees if the appendent bodies?

crono782

Premium Member
In the Scottish Rite, no. Except between the Northern and Southern Jurisdictions. Among the York Rite, probably.

Rick Carver

Premium Member
This is a jurisdictional issue. The state level is as high as it goes for Blue Lodge Masonry. There is go Grand Lodge of the USA as such. AASR, York Rite and nearly all the appendent bodies have a national Grand Lodge or High Council of some sort.

goomba

Neo-Antient
Site Benefactor
In my area boarding states have annual conferences where each state puts on one degree. This year for example Alabama was the host. So Alabama did the Master Mason degree, Georgia did the Fellow Craft, and Florida did the Entered Apprentice. It rotates each year so in three years you will see all of each states degree work. While there are differences the "meat" of it is the same. I find the differences very nice and might help you see something in a different light.

Rick Carver

Premium Member
Aboard Navy vessels, they sometimes conduct "Transitional Lodges" were the Masons aboard ship convene an informal Lodge under no particular jurisdiction while at sea. The WM might be from California, while the SW is from Texas, and so on down the line. Each does the Work as he was taught in his home jurisdiction. It is a hoot to note some of the differences. It all somehow works out though.

Glen Cook

G A Cook
Site Benefactor
Within US Masonry I have seen only minor variations. UGLE lodges you will encounter a different set of signs and varying rituals.

cemab4y

Premium Member
I have visited lodges in 14 states, WashDC, and 5 foreign countries. I have seen degree work in English, Russian, and German. In the USA, the degree work is virtually identical in all regular Grand Lodges. There are some minor variations in wording, and terminology. Once you are a MM, you will have visitation privileges at all lodges worldwide, and you can see for yourself.

Warrior1256

Site Benefactor
From what few I've seen here in Kentucky the words might be slightly different from lodge to lodge but other than that they're the same.