My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cryptic Degrees

crono782

Premium Member
I received both the Cryptic Degrees from my local council tonight. Gotta say, the soliloquy part in the Royal Master was truly beautiful and the bro who gave it did so without missing a word. I'm all lined up for the SEM degree in June. Any other bros attending it in FW?

Freemason Connect Mobile

KSigMason

Traveling Templar
Site Benefactor
Congratulations Companion! The soliloquy of the Royal Master is a very profound part.

Bro_Vick

Premium Member
It was between the SEM and attending the Annual AMD meeting in Waco, as Soverign Master, I picked Waco, but maybe again in the future. Too many weekends doing Masonic activity is not conducive for the home life. :)

S&F,
-Bro Vick

jaanthony

I wanted to attend the SEM degree again, I took the degree in 1987 in San Antonio but have since lost my card and pin but still have the program from the day I took it it was impressive and I hope to see it again.

Freemason Connect Mobile

crono782

Premium Member
I hate to be a downer, but IMO the SEM degree this past go round was less than stellar. Sure, it was the first time I've seen it so I've got nothing to compare to and there were a few great performances, but overall it just felt unorganized and poorly executed. From what I could absorb of the degree, it did indeed sound like it should have been impressive. Better luck next time I guess...

Reactions: GKA

Nat Geo 357

I have noticed some states have KT that did not go through the Cryptic session at all. Is this a common thing or one of necessity due to memberships being down and every body trying to survive as best as it can.?

Freemason Connect Mobile

crono782

Premium Member
No idea. In tx commandery membership is predicated on both chapter and council membership. Gosh, given how few council degrees there are an the low dues, I can't see a reason to skip it. Plus I love the royal master degree.

Freemason Connect Mobile

JJones

No idea. In tx commandery membership is predicated on both chapter and council membership. Gosh, given how few council degrees there are an the low dues, I can't see a reason to skip it. Plus I love the royal master degree.

Freemason Connect Mobile

If I'm not mistaken there are seven degrees total between Chapter and Council, which is slightly more than twice the amount of degrees we confer in blue lodge.

I'll be honest, I'm not a huge fan of Council as it feels tacked on and redundant. The degrees are great but I'd prefer to be able to simply confer the three additional degrees in Chapter (two if the member already received the Past Master degree) and be allowed to move on to the KT.

Just my opinion.

Reactions: GKA

crono782

Premium Member
Well, i wasn't really counting the super excellent master for council (so 6 degrees). Anyway, I was only referring to the 2 council degrees.

Lol, I'm actually opposite. Once I had time to go back and study the degrees, I actually feel like I like council degrees MORE than chapter (w/the exception of RAM).

Freemason Connect Mobile

seanbenjamin

In Ohio you only have to be in Chapter to go to KT. But I of course recommend the cryptic degrees as they are awesome and bring the whole Tarantino around for the legend.

Freemason Connect Mobile

KSigMason

Traveling Templar
Site Benefactor
Originally the Cryptic degrees were not required to join the Templar Order. The first Chivalric Order the candidate presents himself as a Royal Arch Mason, not a Cryptic Mason. The Cryptic Masons came about after RA and KT were already well established. Many states adopted the requirement that one must go through Cryptic Masons before going to the Templar orders, but not all. There are many older members in my York Rite bodies that are not members of the Cryptic Masons.