My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Decline in Freemasonry

Rifleman1776

Do you think the internet and socail media has played a major part in the decline of our membership ? At anytime a potential candiate can at the press of a finger learn and read anything he wants about freemasonry (not just the ritual, but the problems that we try and fix behind the scenes without exposing to the public but some how always find it's way in a online article leaving a man saying I dont want to be apart of an organization like that ? Although it has opened many doors for education that we didnt once have.... What are your thoughts ?

Sent from my LG-LS997 using My Freemasonry mobile app

Organizations of all types are having a serious decline in membership, not just Freemasonry. There was a time when people needed Lodges, Granges, Churches, etc. to gather, socialize and exchange news. Telephones and TV changed all that. Younger people simply are not 'joiners'. I don't have an answer on how to bring it back. My Lodge has put on about a dozen MM degrees in the past couple years. After that we never see them again. I don't understand.

coachn

Coach John S. Nagy
Premium Member
JustJames said:
>After that we never see them again. I don't understand.

Last year after an initiation I asked the candidate if he felt any different. He said he felt bigger. That was true as he had absorbed significant Light during the ceremony. He is still attending.
Nah... he really liked the rubber chicken dinner with extra trimmings on the side and continues to come back for more.

LK600

Premium Member
I wonder what the norm is for Dinner at Lodge. That might be interesting. So far for me (though it can change every year) pulled pork would be the norm at my lodge (mostly but not always).

Glen Cook

G A Cook
Site Benefactor
My chapter dinner last month was soup, fish, duck (with roast and boiled potatoes and veg), choice of fruit or pudding, and three cheeses. We toast with Drambuie or ginger ale. For another meal, we had grouse as the main.
£105 includes subscription and meals for the three meetings a year.

LK600

Premium Member
My chapter dinner last month was soup, fish, duck (with roast and boiled potatoes and veg), choice of fruit or pudding, and three cheeses. We toast with Drambuie or ginger ale. For another meal, we had grouse as the main.
Sounds really nice. I'm not sure I could pitch this at my lodge though. I do think making dinners an event might attract better than a paper plate of food.

Warrior1256

Site Benefactor
Wow!
Sounds really nice. I'm not sure I could pitch this at my lodge though.
Yeah, it's a little (make that a lot) beyond the means for my lodge.

Bloke

Premium Member
I'm in a lodge where the average age is < 50. If there is one thing I know, young guys expect a higher quality of meal than some of us who have been around for a long time. Food can be a bit of a make or break thing here if you expect people to stay for dinner.

Last edited:

LK600

Premium Member
Installation and St Johns/ Christmas?
I think that would be great, one for installation, one in June and the other for Christmas or the 27th. I'll have to research it here before taking it to a meeting. Thank you Brother Glen.