My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

differences between Canadian and American Masonry

widows son

Premium Member
Hey brethren,
Just an inquiry, but I've recently joined a royal arch chapter and will be attending my first meeting/ mark master degree, any thoughts on the rite in general? I am also going to go through the Scottish rite as well, but I've been advised to do one first, as I will get the most out of it, please note I am a proud Canadian mason and I am aware that there are slight differences in the way we do things but please feel free to post your opinion!

cemab4y

Premium Member
One difference, is that after over 11 years of military conflict in Afghanistan, not one USA Grand lodge (other than PHA) has set up a lodge in this country. The Grand Lodge of Ontario established Canada lodge at Kandahar, Afghanistan a couple of years ago. I wish USA Grand Lodges would follow their example, and bring Freemasonry to the soldiers and civilians serving here.

Bravo, Canada. Thanks and Merci, to the Grand Lodge of Ontario.

widows son

Premium Member
I'm in Niagara falls area, welland specifically, and I had thought the grand lodge in afghanistan was American, but thank you for the respects!

widows son

Premium Member
But I've learned that in America past master degree is required to become a master of a lodge, is this true? Because in Canada iys no longer required and actually omitted

MarkR

Premium Member
But I've learned that in America past master degree is required to become a master of a lodge, is this true? Because in Canada iys no longer required and actually omitted
Not in Minnesota. I'm a PM, and I've never even witnessed a Past Master Degree. Some have been put on in the area for educational purposes, but it's not a recognized degree.

widows son

Premium Member
Ya in Canada PM isn't required, we also salute the queen of England at the end of our meetings, she known as the queen of the craft

widows son

Premium Member
True but her family were patrons of the craft when king George took the crown, I'm assuming it's now hereditary