My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Does Grand Lodge Law Help or Hurt Individual Lodges?

rhitland

Founding Member
Premium Member
Grand Lodge Law specifically covers mostly what a Lodge or a Brother may or may not do, is this a good thing for individual Lodges or should Lodges have most of the power, & limit GL to major state wide laws?

Last edited:

JTM

"Just in case"
Premium Member
to be honest, i haven't really studied them past what the JW reads at the stated meeting.

is it an "inclusive" or "exclusive" list of stuff we can/can't do?

as in, if they list all the things we can do, and say "nothing but this," well, then, I'd say that would hurt us pretty bad... but i don't get that impression.

Wingnut

Premium Member
A little of both actualy. There are things that you are supposed to go (order of business etc) and some not. What surprised me the most was how much there is on Masonic trials! Im fascinated by the GL Laws and try to read a little every day. I keep it, my Monitor, lodge by-laws on my desk at home to read and easy reference.

JTM

"Just in case"
Premium Member
a lodge cannot sponsor a team of any sort... aka, we can't have our lodge on the back of the jerseys of a soccer team for example.

can anyone explain this rule?

Wingnut

Premium Member
I can only guess at the logic, but the rule is Art 339. Lodge Shall Not Sponsor Other Organizations. No lodge shall stand as sponsor for any other organization, even though such organization be composed exclusively of Master Masons or the wives, sister, sons, daughters of Master Masons. Provided that this article shall not apply to the Chapters of the Order of DeMolay for boys, Assemblies of the Order of Ranbow Girls, and Bethels of the International Order of Job's Daughters. (revised 1989).

isnt one of the those barred now in Texas? Id guess to keep from a sponsored group getting in trouble and reflecting badly on Masonry. How bad would it look if a soccer coach was later found to have been abusing the kids and then the news saying the team was linked to the Masons? Just my first blush look at why possibly...

TexMass

Every GL says they are there for the members and not the other way around. Does any one feel like this is true? We should do everything we can to get our square and compasses in the publics eye. Whether that be to hold our own public functions or to sponsor something that would recognize us. If I'm not mistaken, the SR Southern Jurisdiction has their own NASCAR entry with the SR emblem across the whole hood. Also I believe the TX Masonic Home played football many years ago and was called the "Masons". Sounds like sponsorship to me. In MA, the GL purchases and donates police dogs that can track from the saliva left on dental imprints (perfect for CHIP material). Traditionally, these German Shepards are named "Mason". Rural Lodge in Quincy, MA just purchased a small, wheel chair accessible school bus for their local school district for $49,500. The school plans to paint a S&C on the side. Sponsorship? What's wrong with it? Just my humble opinion.

Bill Lins

Moderating Staff
Staff Member
I'd bet it has something to do with liability. If the "sponsored" organization gets sued, so does not only the "sponsoring" Lodge, but also the Grand Lodge.

rhitland

Founding Member
Premium Member
To me that is one of societies BIGGEST problems, we all live in fear of being sued by one another, and US laws are so twisted people who are innocent bystanders i.e. sponsors can get into trouble as well, especially with a good lawyer. It is a vicous cycle, we make Human laws to protect each other then someone who does not follow MORAL law uses them against us. What a world gotta Love it!!

owls84

Premium Member
See I believe that GL is there to help. I think they are in place to bring the state to a unified belief. I like having a larger body in control of this. I think you open up WAY more grey area when you allow individual Lodges make decisions for themselves. Look at how many GL jurisdictions differ from one to the next. Now, could you imagine having 1500 lodges make their own decisions, CHAOS!!

J

jwardl

See I believe that GL is there to help. I think they are in place to bring the state to a unified belief. I like having a larger body in control of this. I think you open up WAY more grey area when you allow individual Lodges make decisions for themselves. Look at how many GL jurisdictions differ from one to the next. Now, could you imagine having 1500 lodges make their own decisions, CHAOS!!

Agreed.

Gerald.Harris

Premium Member
Premium Member
I believe that Grand Lodge is definately good for all of our lodges across this great state.
Without it there would be no consistency in what we do. If there was no Grand Lodge , our Lodges would all soon go their own seperate ways, and in a short time NOTHING would be recognizable as Masonic except maybe the square and compasses.
The beauty of the Grand Lodge, is that if a brother or a lodge is dissatisfied with any law, he or they have the option of changing it during the annual communication. Some will argue that if a brother isn't a member of Grand Lodge he has no voice. I believe this to be erroneous as each brother is a member of a Lodge, and that Lodge has a voice. If ones convictions are strong enough, he will be able to communicate his feelings and find someone who is a member of Grand Lodge who will sponsor his idea

Jon D. Smith

I agree with Bro Harris.

I would add that how far does one think that our organization would have come from its beginnings if there had not been order?
Would it still exist as a recognizable group?
I sincerely doubt it.
As with any organization, not everyone will be pleased with every rule. Humans are often creatures of debate. For every logical reason for thinking/believing one way, an equally strong and compelling argument might be made to the contrary.
The MWGL is our collective voice as an organization. Our respective Lodges submit their votes for or against changes. This is the way it should remain if we wish to survive as a collective.

Smokey613

Well, the feeling around our lodge is if you do not like what Grand Lodge is doing just wait until next year because it will change. :D

Joey

Co-Founder
Staff Member
Well, the feeling around our lodge is if you do not like what Grand Lodge is doing just wait until next year because it will change. :D

True..... And, I have a feeling that there are going to be some reversals on several things from this past Grand Lodge.

Gerald.Harris

Premium Member
Premium Member
Change! Did I hear CHANGE ? Seriously guys- who makes the changes at Grand Lodge? How many of your Past Masters and Three Principal Officers attended the last communication of the Grand Lodge of Texas? I for one did attend and I assure you some of the proposals I voted for, and some of them I voted against. The one constant associated with all of the changes is that : the changes were all voted on by the Grand West who far outnumber the Grand Lodge Officers and Committie Members...
Who is the Grand West?
Who changes the Ritual ?

Smokey613

It may be the same way some people feel about voting in political elections... what's the point. I vote because it is my obligation as a citizen to do so and I want the right to complain about the results. :D
I think the same could be said for going to Grand Lodge and participating.