My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Double Edge Shave Masons

Txmason

This is a thread for fellow masons that enjoy using Double Edge (DE) razors, and Straight razors, brushes, shave creams, shave soaps etc.

Please feel free to post what you shave with, tips on techniques, shave ideas, favorite scents, good deals etc.

I'm Jerry and I've just started DE shaving. I was a Murker razor with Feather blazes, Wilkinson blades, an Art of Shaving brush. Soap: Bay Rum and Sandalwood. Cream: Art of Shaving Sandalwood.

Michaelstedman81

Premium Member
Lol, I gotta ask. Where do you get this kind of stuff from and how do you even shave with them? Any tutorials anywhere? What is the benefit from doing this? Just curious, and may try it..lol

kwilbourn

Lol, I gotta ask. Where do you get this kind of stuff from and how do you even shave with them? Any tutorials anywhere? What is the benefit from doing this? Just curious, and may try it..lol

Lots of info here: http://badgerandblade.com. I've been thinking about trying it out; always liked a straight blade shave from the barber shop, but too chicken to use the straight edge on myself.

JJones

I would suggest browsing over some of the articles at http://artofmanliness.com/ if you're really interested in this kind of shaving.

That being said, I switched somewhat recently from using cheap, disposable razors to my grandpa's old Gillette safety razor and I'm very happy with my decision. The blades are far more affordable and my shaves feel like they're a much better quality. My wife bought me a shaving soap/brush kit and I finally enjoy shaving now.

I've been considering trying a straight razor but like several others I'm not sure if I'm ready to hold a razor to my neck first thing in the morning yet.

Benton

Premium Member
Always wanted to try using a straight edge, but hard to justify buying one, as I keep a beard. :p Seems like it'd be exciting though.

(As an aside, I moved the thread, as the NE corner is primarily for introductions, which this is not. :) )

barryguitar

I use a Mach 3, only because they stopped making the mach 2 blades (the pinnacle of shaving technology). Neutrogena shave cream and after shave balm. In the last few years I have been shaving in the shower, a most efficient improvement to the routine. I have an old steel straight razor that I use for carving the rough cuts on violin scrolls. It takes an edge nicely but doesnt hold it long.

Michaelstedman81

Premium Member
Thanks for the links. I'm going to read into it a bit more now. Last night after reading this thread at first, I pulled up a couple YouTube videos of guys doing some instructional videos doing the straight razor thing. I gotta admit, it does look interesting and I think that I would like to try it out. Does make me a bit nervous with that blade, but if it beats shaving in some of the conditions that I have around the world, then it can't be that bad...lol

Michaelstedman81

Premium Member
<- Wimp. Braun Electric razor woot!

I have one that died, battery won't charge...now I'm back to the Mach3.

Lol, I got one of those too right before I deployed. I used the heck out of that thing and never had a problem with the battery. Only thing I did have an issue with was that I kept using even after the razors or whatever they are called on there went really dull. It went from taking care of business to feeling I was tearing my face off, and finally to the point that it straight up does not cut the whiskers anymore. I seriously would have to go over and over on a spot for 15-20 seconds for it to cut that little area. I even left the little sticker on there that said to replace the blades after 18 months which also had a place to write the date down on...lol I was really suprised, but it took about two years to get it to that point though..lol

JTM

"Just in case"
Premium Member
I really like that Art of Man website.

I shave using a serrated knife because I'm just that plain manly. If I don't happen to have one handy, a rock will do the trick.

Michaelstedman81

Premium Member
I really like that Art of Man website.

Yea, I like that site too. I spent about thirty minutes reading a lot of the stuff on there. Pretty neat. I am happy to know that I now know how to start a fire using that bow contraption...lol

I shave using a serrated knife because I'm just that plain manly. If I don't happen to have one handy, a rock will do the trick.

Thats not manly....That is downright barbaric...lol What kind of rock do you prefer? Dolomite? Granite? Marble?

jwhoff

Premium Member
Anyone use any of those old splashes from the day when we went to the barber shop and looked up at those big bottles full of "smell'em?"

I remember how proud I was the day they splashed me for the first time. I went straight home and told my mom and sister to smell me. Of course, that was so long ago, I don't remember much else.

Txmason

Jim,

Might have been the paldman clubman aftershave in a green bottle? And they probably put some talc powder on you too!

Check out www.badgerandblade.com

Jerry

nwendele

Badger and blade was a great discovery, prompted by the art of manliness. I rarely use a straight, but have not touched a mach 3 after having my face kissed by a 1959 Gillette fat boy with Lord blades. That didn't sound right....
I really love the shave I get from a DE razor, I think my thick beard clogged the close blades of a mach 3 after 1 or 2 passes. Now I have many razors, mostly picked up on e-bay for less than $10. Each one shaves a little different, each brand blade shaves a bit different. Being men who obviously enjoy ritual, creating a new one every morning with a good blade, whipping up your own lather in a nice bowl from a good puck of soap with a badger brush, and starting of your day like grandpa did should have quite the draw for young Masons!

choppersteve03

Premium Member
best electic i ever had, was in the army i had a little battery operated braun. best shave i ever got with an elec, it was a kick ass little shaver for in the field. now i shave with the shick quattro and there hydro gel, best shave ever for the twenty years i have had to shave.