My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Double order or short form?

chrmc

We'd just open an EA directly. No need to open a Masters and then call down. Just gives you more work when you have to close everything out.

David Duke

Premium Member
It would mainly be used when examining a FC and then doing a MM degree. Open the Masters double order down to the FC examine close the FC bring the MM back up confer the degree then close the Masters. The theory is only one set of minutes but as a Secretary I can tell you it is easier to do the 2 sets than keep up with everything involved in the double order.

That being said as a WM I liked doing the double order, it keeps the junior officers on their toes!

Sent from my iPhone using My Freemasonry mobile app

David Duke

Premium Member
What is a dbl order?
David, why would there be 2 sets of minutes?

Sent from my LG-H918 using My Freemasonry mobile app

You would have a set for the FC and one for the MM.

With the double order the complete minutes would fall under the MM umbrella even though you call the MM to refreshment and open the FC separately then call the MM back to labor.

The double order is fairly simple it is just not done much and almost forgotten about. I did it to make sure my junior officers knew how if they decided to sit for a certificate it is required then.

In Texas until about 2001 you had to do the double order to open an EA or FC. The work was changed around that time so that you open an EA or FC by itself without opening a Masters lodge first.

Sent from my iPhone using My Freemasonry mobile app

David Duke

Premium Member
No you would open a Master call it to refreshment and then immediately open the EA or FC (this is where the double order comes in when the JD informs the Tiler). You would then conduct the required business in that lodge (i.e. esoteric exam) close the FC the call the Masters back to labor conduct the required business (i.e. conferal of degree) then close the Masters lodge.

Sent from my iPhone using My Freemasonry

David Duke

Premium Member
No doing it with the double order is one but if you open the FC first then close it then open the Masters it would require 2 separate sets.

As I stated previously I have been secretary for a long time and would rather do the 2 separate minutes than to keep track of the timing and who comes and goes required with the double order. Neither one is rocket science just my preference.

Bill Lins

Moderating Staff
Staff Member
One Saturday, some years back, we had 2 Brethren who were going to turn in their FC work & receive their MM degrees. We opened a MM Lodge in the morning, called it from labor & opened an FC Lodge with a double order, did the proficiency, closed the FC Lodge & called the MM Lodge back to labor, conferred the MM degree, called the MM Lodge back to refreshment & had lunch, then opened another FC Lodge & did that proficiency, closed that FC Lodge & called the MM Lodge back to labor, conferred the 2nd MM degree, then closed the MM Lodge & called it a (long) day!

David Duke

Premium Member
I don't know the circumstances but I would imagine so that the second candidate wouldn't have to wait around all day.

Bill Lins

Moderating Staff
Staff Member
Thats crazy...why not just do both of the profeciencies then both degrees?
We did all this at a ranch outside of town. We couldn't have the 2nd candidate hanging around during the 1st degree so we did it the way I outlined above. We told the 2nd candidate what time to show up for lunch and we proceeded with him afterward. The 1st candidate got to witness what he had just gone through. It all worked out with 3 sets of minutes- 2 FC & 1 MM.