My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dr. Ashbel Smith & Texas Masonry

Randy Allen Thomas

I am currently looking for any and all information regarding Dr. Ashbel Smith and his Masonic ties. He is my 4th Great Grandfather. Until I became a Master Mason my family had no idea that he was involved in Texas Masonry. He was at one time a roommate of Gen. Sam Houston's and contributed a lot to the medical system here in Texas among other things. If anyone has any information or knows where I can expand my knowledge of is Masonic roots, I would be glad to hear from you.
Thanks,
Bro. Randy A. Thomas
Sr. Steward Elect 2011-2012
Sampson Lodge #231

Last edited:

Txmason32

Did You find out anything ? He sure hung out with lots of Masons ,He was said to be the most educated man in Texas at the time . Most of the things he did had masonic closly knitted . i found this article about a school in houston . The Houston Academy was not a public school. It was maintained by tuition charges and subscription. Its first principal was Dr. Ashbel G. Smith, the pepperpot from Connecticut who did not get here in time to wrest Texas from Mexico, but had a hand in almost everything else undertaken by the new republic.Dr. Smith (often referred to as Gen. Smith) became Texas first surgeon-general and held the rank of colonel in the 2nd Texas Infantry during the Civil War. He was the first regent of the University of Texas, a founder of the university's medical school, and held such post as ambassador to England and France.It was from a balcony of the academy that Sam Houston urged Texas in 1860 not to secede from the Union. It was in one of its classrooms that the body of Gen. Albert Sidney Johnston lay in state after his death in the battle of Shiloh. Houston's public school system was established in 1878, but the old academy building was so dilapidated classes were held in the Masonic Hall. In 1881 the old structure was renovated and named Clopper Institute, in honor of E.N. Clopper, the city's second superintendant of schools.