My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dual/Plural

LukeD

What is the difference between dual and plural membership? For example, Texas says yes to both in state and out of state. On the other hand, Mississippi will say yes and no in state, and no and yes out of state, or some version of the two.

jwhoff

Premium Member
That's interesting. I'd like to know more about your comments on Mississippi; even if it requires a PM.

LukeD

I chose Mississippi, because starting tomorrow, I will be living there for the next four years. Being a member of a Texas lodge under the GLoT, I was wondering if I could also be a member of a lodge in Mississippi recognized by the GLoT. That is where the dual/plural question comes from. The List of Regular Lodges Masonic says Mississippi allows one of the two in state, and one of the two out of state. Very confusing if you ask me.

cemab4y

Premium Member
The distinction between "plural" and "dual" has always escaped me. Maybe someone will post here, and clarify the titles to me. I have been interested in this for some time. Some Grand Lodges permit you to join one (1) lodge only. (Ex: West Virginia). In WV, when you apply for affiliation (and you are already a MM), your application must be accompanied by a demit from your previous lodge(s), or else you are committing a Masonic offense.

Some Grand Lodges permit you to join one lodge in their jurisdiction, and as many as you like, as long as they are out of state.

California permits you to join as many lodges as your "checkbook can handle".

Some lodges in rural Texas, are only able to survive, because the GL of TX permits plural memberships, and men can "commute" between lodges, and keep some of these small lodges open.

LukeD

I just contacted a lodge here in Biloxi, MS and spoke to the secretary. He told me plural was membership in two different States. So for me, it would be ok to be a member under the GLoTX and the GLoMS. I'm thinking dual membership deals with being a member of more than one lodge in State. I'm pretty excited to visit my first lodge outside of TX.