Dutch Oven Cooking

Discussion in 'The Refreshment Lounge' started by Scotty32, Jun 21, 2009.

1. Scotty32

Scotty32 Registered User

Is anyone into using dutch ovens over a fire?
    I'll share dinner & dessert recipes.

2. MGM357

MGM357 Registered User

Bring em!!!

3. Blake Bowden

Blake Bowden Administrator Staff Member

I'll second that motion!

4. hydrant

hydrant Registered User

I for one would love to learn how

Bro. Steve

5. Scotty32

Scotty32 Registered User

Last edited: Oct 24, 2009
  6. Nate C.

Nate C. Registered User

There's not too much that can't be done in a dutch oven. I use mine in the house more than over an open fire (just because there never seems to be enough time to squeeze in a camping trip) but the outcome is equally tasty.

I am a BIG fan of dutch oven peach cobbler.

7. Joey

Joey Co-Founder Staff Member

There are several Dutch Oven cook-offs here in Gonzales each year. My favorite is the one that our church does. There is EXCELLENT food that gets cooked. :14:

8. rhitland

rhitland Founding Member Premium Member

I take a whole chicken and place it in my dutch oven with potatoes, onions, garlic, celery?, carrots, and really any other thing in the kitchen I think would be good in what I call a "whole chicken stew". Then fill the pot about 3/4s or until most of the side contents are covered with water or chicken broth if you want more flavor. Put that bad boy in the oven for about 2 1/2 to 3hrs at about 420 degress and presto. I have also put rice in with all that and made a whole chicken caserole. The chicken falls off the bone and is always so so awesome. With it getting cold I have busted mine out and am cleaning it for use. This year I plan to cook with it in my fireplace. :)

Share My Freemasonry