EA work

Discussion in 'Frequently Asked Questions' started by Jeffrey McBride, Jul 12, 2017.

1. Jeffrey McBride

Jeffrey McBride Registered User

So its been 2 weeks now since i have been initiated and let me tell you i have enjoyed it thus far, but being a visual learner my whole life it has definetly been tough learning by mouth to ear, i know its been this way for 300 years. I guess my question is what helped yall learn. I take my obligation very seriously. Any tips would be greatly appriciated. Thank you my brothers and have a great day.

GaTnMason, Bloke and LK600 like this.
  2. Thomas Stright

Thomas Stright Premium Member

Only working on a few questions a session helped me. I worked on 5 questions at a time and didn't move on until I had them down. Then every few sessions started from the beginning and run though them. And hiccups were worked in before continuing on.

Sent from my iPhone using My Freemasonry mobile app

Tyler Atkinson and LK600 like this.
  3. LK600

LK600 Premium Member

I'm in a similar place as you. I will be attending an initiation in a week or so; seeing it I was told would help. Other than that, I do what Thomas said... a few questions at a time, theres no rush.

Kenneth Munn and Jeffrey McBride like this.
  4. Jeffrey McBride

Thank you brother thats good advice.

5. CLewey44

CLewey44 Registered User

I can tell you this. Firstly, you'll be surprised how much you can learn even out of your "comfort zone". Also, they expect proficiency not perfection, brother.

6. Jeffrey McBride

Thank you brother, i need to remember that. I think im at times to hard on myself. Thank you!!

CLewey44 likes this.
  7. Thomas Stright

This is true, Your instructor will not allow you to turn your work in unless he is sure your know and understand it. What I found helpful was the officers and pretty much any MM in my lodge would ask me where I was in my work and then try me... It puts you on the spot but I found that I knew more than I thought I did.

WX2CIB, Derek Harvey and CLewey44 like this.
  8. David Duke

David Duke Premium Member

What has already been said is good advice, trust your instructor and take the time necessary to learn it right, not just the words but the meanings also.

Two weeks in you are only just beginning don't rush things, see as many EA degrees as possible this will help you put things in sequence. More than anything else if you didn't catch it the first time LEARN THE MEANING OF THE WORK without doing that they are just words. You will here stories of guys who learned the work in 2-3 sessions and I respect them for that but I don't believe there is ANY way they could learn the true meanings in so short of time, I have been a Mm for 20 years and am still seeking light.

Sent from my iPhone using My Freemasonry

9. Warrior1256

Warrior1256 Site Benefactor

Same here. I would also run it all through my mind while driving.

HoldenMonty likes this.
  10. Phil P

Phil P Registered User

What everyone else has said is absolutely true. And yes even attend an EA degree at another lodge as well, as long as you have someone from your lodge tag along with you. I've just completed my EA proficiency & need to get with my incoming WM (Saturday is our installation btw) on getting my Fellowcraft on the calendar. Just take your time & trust your coach.

11. Ripcord22A

Ripcord22A Site Benefactor

Not sure about your lodge but every one ive been in, the candidate doesnt schedule his degree, the lodge does.

Sent from my LG-H918 using My Freemasonry mobile app

Bloke likes this.
  12. Phil P

Phil P Registered User

That is true my fellow Nor-Cal native, but because of the transition of power coming up I have to get with him to see what's available on the lodge's calendar

13. Jeffrey McBride

Thank you brother!

14. Jeffrey McBride

Brethren,
    Thank you all for the words of advice and encouragement. Its great to have a forum like this. If yall are ever in Central Texas let me know!!

15. Phil P

Phil P Registered User

Back at ya. Same deal if you ever come to the Northeast side of Houston

Jeffrey McBride likes this.
  16. Jeffrey McBride

Will do, im originally from Katy!! Miss Houston, dont miss the traffic lol

17. Phil P

Phil P Registered User

I don't blame ya. I live in Atascocita right near Lake Houston. Huffman Lodge is just over the 1960 bridge crossing the lake. I enjoy that drive going to lodge

18. Thomas Stright

Define Central...lol
    Moved to the north side of Houston 3 years ago and found out quickly that Texas is one big a@@ state.

19. Phil P

Phil P Registered User

Whereabouts on the Northside of H-Twon brudda?

20. Thomas Stright

Spring. Rayford/99 Area.

Soon to be Porter or Kingwood.

Sent from my iPhone using My Freemasonry mobile app

Share My Freemasonry