My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Edward Snowden

widows son

Premium Member
So, now the Travon Martin case is over, the focus can be once again brought on the real issue. I've recently read that he is requesting assylum in Russia, on the condition that he stops leaking. I doubt he is going to accept. Also Venezuela may not be an option because the president has been known to repress free speech on his own subjects. The only thing that's guy aid Snowden there is Venezuela's disdain for Washington.

JohnnyFlotsam

Premium Member

Blake Bowden

Administrator
Staff Member
snowden is a patriot and a hero. Yes, a g.d. Hero. Alas, the evil that he has exposed is lost on most of our citizens. The "i have nothing to hide" rationale is seductively simple and most, it seems, have fallen for it.

Mwb franklin was right.

amen

widows son

Premium Member
I think his safest bet is Venezuela. Even though the government has been known to be oppressive, thy still would harbor him because of their feelings towards Washington.

I don't understand how nobody has done anything about it.

JJones

I'm surprised...you gentlemen think he's a hero as well? I thought I'd be in the minority on this.

Interestingly, Snowden was nominated today for the Nobel Peace Prize by a professor.

That'd mean something if they hadn't started just giving them away. :1:

rpbrown

Premium Member
My question is if he were to return to the US and be charged, could they actually seat an impartial jury?

Seems there are 2 sides that have been firm--1) he is a traitor and 2) he is a hero. Doesn't seem to be any in between that I've heard anyway.

JJones

When (not if) he's caught, I doubt he'll receive a fair trial. It's my belief that, more likely than not, he'll be made an example of.

Michael Hatley

Premium Member
Traitor on one side, hero on the other - thats how the question has been posed on television and for a large part of the internets.

Its the same sort of bipolar question that was asked about Zimmerman.

And in this, I feel about the same way I did Zimmerman - but in reverse. About Zimmerman my judgement is - an idiot, but a legal idiot.

About this I feel he is probably a good guy with good intentions - but an illegal one. I'd see him tried and sent to jail.

jamestprice

I think hero and traitor are both strong words. I do think he did the right thing. I also think if he gets caught he will be to harshley punished. This kinda reminds me of a shirt I saw. On the front it said "quit bitching start a revolution". And on the back it said "be prepaired revolutionarys are considered criminals" and I'm sure I misspelled the word but oh well.

Freemason Connect Mobile

Michael Hatley

Premium Member
A lot of my views are no doubt influenced by the fact that I just got done with a political science degree focusing on intelligence analysis (one of my mentors was a retired CIA agent, and Brother Mason). I still may put in my packet for one of the services, but truth is I'm beyond the age that they are looking for - but I have that mindset.

I believe strongly that intelligence officers and contractors must keep the secrets they are entrusted to. And that there are other ways to nudge things than going public.

It influences my views away from politics and to duty. It just is what it is.

dfreybur

Premium Member
Seems there are 2 sides that have been firm--1) he is a traitor and 2) he is a hero. Doesn't seem to be any in between that I've heard anyway.

Why shouldn't he be a bit both? If what he's revealing is true that would be the natural conclusion. And a very hard conclusion at that.

Roy Vance

Certified
Premium Member
Why shouldn't he be a bit both? If what he's revealing is true that would be the natural conclusion. And a very hard conclusion at that.

Are you implying a bit of disinformation being released, perhaps? Possibly something going on that is not what it seems? A political game? It's been done before.:thumbup:

Last edited:

widows son

Premium Member
"Why is this in "General Freemasonry Discussion." Is Snowden a Mason?"

• No he is not a Mason. Could a moderator move this thread to the appropriate spot for our brother?

dfreybur

Premium Member
Are you implying a bit of disinformation being released, perhaps? Possibly something going on that is not what it seems? A political game? It's been done before.:thumbup:

I do remember that lesson at boot camp. When approached report to the security officer. You might be assigned to feed them specially designed data. That case would make him a hero not a traitor.

I had mostly meant that a government that does bad stuff internally needs to be held accountable. Which takes both a traitor and a hero in the same person. Someone willing to betray their own obligations - Please don't sign me up for having to do that.