My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ensor Note The Masonic Membership Card

iainmason

Ensor Note July 02

The Masonic Membership Card

I recently came across a lesson about that little piece of card that we carry around to identify ourselves as Masons to other Masons. I personally carry 4 such cards, which identify me as a MM in good standing of 4 separate lodges, Hillcrest #594, Orillia #192, and Heritage #730 of the GRC and Ensor #729 Grd. Ldg. Ky. Anyone of these cards will grant me admission to any Masonic lodge anywhere in the world.

Bob Skaggs and Richard Owen used their cards to gain admission to the Lodge of Strict Observance #127 GRC in Stoney Creek recently, as did visitors from Ohio, Texas and Arkansas. Quite the little card, it packs a powerful punch so to speak. Now the question is, is that all it does. Never take that card for granted; as the following article (found in a Knight Templar Magazine) points out. This little card is a powerful tool if you reflect on the many lessons it holds and live by the tenants it teaches.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I hold in my hand a little scrap of paper 2 ½ x 3 ½ inches in size. It has no intrinsic worth, not a bond, not a check or receipt for value, yet it is my most priceless possession. It is my membership in a Masonic Lodge.

It tells me that I have entered into a spiritual kinship with my fellow Masons to practice charity in word and deed; to forgive and forget the faults of my brethren; to hush the tongue of scandalous innuendo; to care for the crippled, the hungry and the sick, and to be fair and just to all mankind.

It tells me that no matter where I travel in the world, I am welcome to visit a place where good fellowship prevails among brothers and friends.

It tells me that my loved ones, my home, and my household are under the protection of every member of this great fraternity, who have sworn to protect and defend mine, as I have sworn to defend and protect theirs.

It tells me that should I be overtaken by adversity of misfortune through no fault of my own, the hands of every Mason on the face of the earth will be stretched forth to assist me in my necessities.

And finally it tells me that when my final exit from the stage of life has been made, there will be gathered around my lifeless body friends and brothers who will recall to mind my virtues, though they may be but few, and will forget my faults, though they be many.

It tells me all that and a great deal more, this little card, and makes me proud, yet humble, that I can possess this passport into a Society of Friends and Brothers that are numbered in the millions.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I t is too bad that every Mason doesn’t understand how important these lessons are. I have met some who fall far short of the ideal of a Master Mason, even though they think that they are above reproach; others are oblivious to the deeper meanings of Masonry, and finally there are the true Masons who understand and quietly go about their lives and business with honestly and integrity; they are true and trusty; they enrich everyone’s lives that they come in contact with and I am so lucky to know some of them and call them my friends.

I know that there are others I haven’t met and my greatest wish would be to meet them all, but I also know that that is impossible. I will be content to practice what I preach, to sow the seeds and reap the benefits of the harvest.

Fraternally

Ian