My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Fears over finding a new lodge and returning to active Masonry.

W

WellArmedTiler

I can't think of a Lodge that would require you to wear a tux to a normal stated meeting. That'd be a lot of dry cleaning to have done in a year! Talk to someone there about the dress code.

Without being able to prove yourself a Mason through traditional methods, you might need a Letter of Good Standing and a Dues Card.

It wouldn't be anything against you, just their way of ensuring you are what you say you are. :D

Blake Bowden

Administrator
Staff Member
You don't have anything to worry about. Remember, it is the internal and not the external ;) If you have a current dues card you should be fine, however if you seek to gain membership in another Lodge you may need a Letter of Good Standing. The last time I saw a Mason wear a Tux was at Grand Lodge. Business/Casual is usually the norm. Even though you've been away from Lodge for quite some time, you're still a Brother. Don't sweat it, you'd be welcome with open arms in any Lodge.

R

RJS

If I have my dues card, I would still also need a letter?

Without being able to prove yourself a Mason through traditional methods I think you might. Also that is a big fat negative on the ole tuxedos. Attire varies from lodge to lodge. In my lodge a pair of khakis and a polo you would fine. So when you contact a lodge just ask them what they consider proper dress is. Also explain your situation and see what they tell you.

js4253

Premium Member
Premium Member
My fear, I guess is how will I be looked at when I try to visit a lodge here in San Antonio, I don't remember any of the things you are supposed to know, I don't even have an apron. I just have myself and my dues card (which this years hasn't arrived yet, the lodge must be behind) and a strong, strong will to return and soak up everything I have missed.

The other thing is being in Hawaii, we were a little casual and could wear khaki pants and just a golf shirt to lodge meetings. I was told that you wear tuxedos here, is that true? I would have to buy a tuxedo before I could visit a lodge?

If anyone would help me it would be great. I have this burning in my heart to get back into the fraternity and experience the fun I had while going through the degree process.

My Brother, I am the WM of Patterson #1177 in San Antonio, Tx. When you get your new dues card and are ready to visit give me a call. Our Lodge attire is casual. And don't worry we have plenty of aprons. We are mostly retired or blue collar and would love to have you visit and possibly join our Lodge. Most Texas Lodges are casual attire but there are a few that require formal wear. Hope to hear from you soon!

Robert Marshall

Secretary, Waco 92
Premium Member
This might make you feel better. We have several brothers at our Lodge who were inactive for two decades or longer before returning to Masonry. In comparison, 8 years is no time at all!! They should welcome you with open arms.

nick1368

Brother, hope all this information has been helpful and encouraging. We are happy have to have you here in TX and don't worry about the tux..it's too damn hot here to get all dressed up for a regular stated meeting!

rhitland

Founding Member
Premium Member
You will have to be examined being an outta state Mason per GL law but I am sure the investigation commitee will be easy there job is to get you in not keep you out if you are Mason. Some Lodges will aslo just take the dues card and D.L.

TCShelton

Founding Member
Premium Member
All that is required for visitng brethren belonging to the GLoT is a current dues card and picture ID. Some lodges may still test you, but if they try, be sure and explain that you haven't been to lodge in a while, and are quite rusty. They should be more than willing to work with you.

The "examination" is meant to help you get in, not keep you out.