My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

First Time to Confer

Christopher

Brethren, I have been given the honor of conferring a degree for the first time in a week, and I am scared to death. Any tips?

Thanks.

Dave in Waco

Premium Member
Dress for warm weather, it's always hotter in the East. LOL

Seriously, just remember you know it. I would advise having a prompter ready to aid you, because having a safety net always helps ease the nerves. Speak authortatively, the candidate will only realize you make a mistake if you clue them in to it. If you speak with confidence, they will have a good degree. I would also practice the obligation by chopping it up it like you are giving it to someone if you haven't practiced it like that. It's different with pauses, breaks and corrections. If you are used to practicing with certain people in your degree team, try to get as many of those as possible on the degree team that night.

And remember it will be your first, so it is going to be a little rough and you will probably make a mistake, as all worthy brothers have done before you. On my first one, I went blank on how to start the obligation. I didn't panic, looked over at my prompter, he gave me the first word, and it all came flooding back. You will do fine, your degree team will help you if needed. Although I've only conferred 3, this is the same advise I was given by two worthy brothers who between them have conferred somewhere around 1,200 total.

Bboc

Just imagine the candidate naked. Just kidding don't do that. But seriously I know about 5 people with the know it all pin and I have seen 4 of them miss up at least once every time. The other one is that guy that every one knows and has never messed up once that anybody can recall he's like a 60 year 33 degree mason. But my point is that I'm sure u know it just speak clear and slow during the obligation and if u mess up he will have no idea. Apparently during my mm degree the wm messed up left and right I had no clue till I saw it again. But as long as the canadite enjoys it that's the only person who matters. Good luck.

Bro. Stewart P.M.

Lead Moderator Emeritus
Staff Member
You will do just fine do not worry about it.

I found that when I am conferring a degree that I develop a "tunnel vision", simply put it is just me and the candidate in the lodge room during the degree. Once it starts.... the ending comes all too quickly.

I suggest that you and your Sr. Deacon work together through all your conferrals even if the roles reverse, the two of you will develop into a well versed team that anticipates the others mistakes and needs. There is nothing worse than having a Sr. Deacon assisting you that doesn't know when and where that you actually need it, or worse yet rude Brothers "couch coaching" from the sideline. I also always declare a prompter other than the SD, only he should prompt you if the SD doesn't help you recover sooner.

By the way, those Couch Coach's never get it wrong from their sideline seat but they should learn to keep silent. Everyone makes mistakes even the most well versed of us make them, just don't let the candidate realize it. It is the only degree that he will ever personally recieve make it good for him.

We (myself included) have all been in your shoes.... Have fun!!

Ben Rodriguez

I have been a bit distant from lodge and haven't had a chance to study the work conferring degrees, I really need to get more light on it! :2:

fairbanks1363pm

just keep up the good work! when you make a mistake you usualy know it. dont bat an eye. keep on rolling and the candidate will never no.