My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

fraternal greetings from Australia.

tomorrow

Brethren, I'm a FC mason from Australia and am new to the forums.
Looking forward to speaking to you and partaking in our "daily advancement in Masonic knowledge".
Safe travels.

California Master

Welcome Brother.

Where are you from?

I was born in Australia. (Alexandra, Victoria) My father attended lodge in Melbourn in the early to mid 1950's.

tomorrow

Thankyou brothers for the warm welcome. @californiamaster I'm from South Australia. I look forward to speaking with you all.
Safe travels.

BEDickey

Premium Member
Welcome! Am I correct in thinking Australia is more "traditional observance" in the sense that you must wait a few years between the degrees?

tomorrow

No my understanding and my experience is that each individual brother by way of his level of involvement and study dictates in some way how long it takes him to be promoted through the degrees. I was passed 3 months after being initiated, but some brothers may take longer. However there are some differences between Aus and the US in that before being initiated a man pays his dues and initiation fees and once that man has taken his obligation in open lodge he is an EA and a brother among masons. I think for this reason some brothers have less urgency in applying themselves to the learning and moving through the degrees. I know of some brothers that were initiated at the same time as I, and they readily admit they haven't even picked up their book yet. Mine on the other hand is with me at all times. If I have a spare minute, I read the ritual. If I'm sitting in traffic I go through the ritual in my head. I find that keeping the work I'm trying to remember a big part of my day my obligation is also first and foremost in my mind and helps me to act in due form as an obligated brother among masons.
Safe travels brethren.