My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Freemasonry in Nazi Germany

stephenaulds

Hello all,

I'm trying to gather information on the suppression of Masonry during the nazi period of German history for a talk I'm going to give before my Lodge up here.

The most inspirational example of Masonic perseverance I've come across with this topic (or any other for that matter) has been this...

Liberté chérie - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It's a Lodge that was run from inside one of the camps!!

Does anyone know where I can go to find out more about this Lodge, or about German Masons of this time period?

hanzosbm

Premium Member
I know that I'm very late to the party, but I thought this was an interesting tidbit to add.

I have reconnected with distant relatives in Germany and recently had a story related to me of one of them. He was the grandfather of a woman I communicate with frequently living a bit southeast of Stuttgart. He was a Freemason prior to the outbreak and after the war was over, though was relatively private about it, so not a whole lot was known by my relative. She did say that he used to listen to British radio broadcasts in his attic in secret, though she couldn't say if he was actively part of any resistance. In addition, he was a town leader and when instructed to destroy a town bridge by soldiers outright refused, turned his back, and walked away, fully expecting to be shot. He wasn't. I wish I knew more about him, because he sounds fascinating.