My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Freemasons commercialized and profiting?

VinnyC

I was on you tube looking around and I decided to type in Freemason. One of the videos came on and it was a Rap song about Freemasons and it was titled that. I also have seen pictures of younger Freemasons taking pictures as if it was a gang. I am not a Freemason just yet. But, how do you guys feel about people "commercializing" Freemasons and profiting from it?

HKTidwell

Premium Member
There are alot of things on the internet, without seeing the video I'd prefer not to comment on it.

I'll use this link as an example.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4oFeKJKoaKc - by Howie Damon
I have no issue with this and if he makes money to recoup his cost and also makes some money off of it I have no issue. This reflects Masonry in a positive light and personally I think it will help with growth.

However if the sole purpose of somebodies actions is self gratification and profit, I would have an issue with it. I also would highly doubt that person was a mason. As I mentioned in another thread I don't wear anything masonic when I'm doing political or business activities or anything that could be conscrewed as a either of those activities.

owls84

Premium Member
You know at first I am like man I don't like it but I can appreciate how different people express themselves in different ways and I happen to know Jay-Z to be a PHA Mason. I assume Rick Ross is as well. I don't look at it as profiting but more expressing how he feels about Masonry. The first line is AWESOME: "This is to all the men who see the light at midnight." How cool is that? Now he goes on to use words I would not but this is his expression and I personally love it. Masonry if taught right has a way of engulfing all you do. You talk about it non stop and it comes up in every conversation. If this man is new or has been overcome with the craft he would have no choice but to write a song to express himself.

I say awesome way to express you feelings of Masonry. The more I listen I love it.

rhitland

Founding Member
Premium Member
I loved the line "I quit writing so I do it mentally". Josh said it best and I agree. We express ourselves how we know how and since most of us did not grow up in the ghetto we would never understand or get why the ghetto does what it does to people. That song although some money may be made from it will dispense light all throughout that community so it has my vote. I kinda view them the same as the masons who sale masonic rings and garb, plus its music.

HKTidwell

Premium Member
You also have to realize that Jay-Z has been hammered over Masonry for a while. I've never confirmed whether he is or is not a Mason, however you listen to the song and somebody associated with that song was a mason or has done alot of research.

To me parts of the song are offensive but coming from his background and the context behind the song, I could see why they would say it. Not a song I would personally be involved with but I understand why they might have gone with it.

I don't consider it profiteering/commercialization of it. I realize he may be profiting from it but there is a depth to it and it isn't his sole focus.

Perhaps it will cause somebody to dig deeper into masonry then 75% of the junk you find on the internet.

JTM

"Just in case"
Premium Member
This is for the soldiers
the see the sun at midnight, ya dig
let me slow down
it’s so incredible

Rick Ross

I go in the grave before I be a bich n-gga
Better behave you dealin’ with some rich n-gga
we the lost symbols
speak in cryptic codes
ancient wisdom
valuable like gifts of Gold
I embark on life
my path is all math
I understand the codes these hackers can’t crack
I understand these folks expect me to fold
community control to violate parole
I wont fail but a lot of men will
I’m iconic in the field
like Solomons Seal
Uh, it’s just in an intro
allow my flow time to sink into the temple
Free Mason
Free Lancer
Free Agents, we faster
Big contracts, big contractors
built pyramids, period
We Masters
no caterpillers, it was just a lot of n-ggas
A lot of great thinkers and a lot of great inventors
All white mansion, I’m the child of God
All black diamonds times were hard
New Rolls Royce Guess you made it n-gga
all white neighbourhood you they favourite n-gga
you they favourite n-gga
my top back like JFK
they wanna push my top back like JFK
So, So I JFK,
join forces with the kings and we ate all day
right now I could rewrite history
I stopped writing so fuck it
I’ll do it mentally

Chorus - Rick Ross

I go to the grave before I be a bich n-gga
Better behave you dealin’ with some rich n-ggas
Started in the ghetto now we worldwide
Multiplying and I pray to God we never die
(repeat)

Verse 2 - Jay-Z
N-ggas couldn’t do nothing with me
they put the devil on me
I would have preferred if n-ggas squeeze the metal on me
Rumours of Lucifer
I don’t know who to trust
whole world want my demise turn my music up
here me clearly, if y’all niggas fear me
just say y’all fear me
f-ck all these fairy tales
go to hell
This is God engineering
This is a Hail Mary pass,
y’all interfering
he without sin shall cast the first stone
so y’all look in the mirror
double check your appearance
b-tch I said I was amazing
Not that I’m a Mason
It’s amazing that I made it though the maze that I was in
Lord forgive me I never would’ve made it without sin
lyrics courtesy of Killerhiphop.com
Holy water my face in the basin
Diamonds in my Rosary shows He forgave him
B-tch I’m red hot, I’m on my third six but the devil I’m not
My Jesus peice flooded but thou shall not covet
keep your eyes off my cupboard I’m a bad motherf-cker
it’s HOV
just say you love it

Rick Ross - Chorus

John Legend

If I ever die, never let it be said I didn’t win
never, never say
never sya Legend didn’t go in (imma go in)
I just wanna die on Top of the World
Makin love to my favorite girl
makin beuatiful music
we makin a movie
we knew we was born to do it

Rick Ross - Chorus

End

Props: Solomon.

here are the lyrics for the jay z song.

JTM

"Just in case"
Premium Member
i actually like this song. of course, i like any song with a beat + meaning. i don't know if he did it on purpose, but you can apply a lot of meaning to that.

Blake Bowden

Administrator
Staff Member
I'm not comfortable with the words "bitch", 'fuck" and "nigga" being associated with our beloved Craft.

:001_unsure:

FYI there is no evidence that Jay Z is PHA or mainstream.

Last edited:

Bill Lins

Moderating Staff
Staff Member
Gotta remember- PHA has different rules than we do. For one, they ARE allowed to use their Masonic affiliation for business & political purposes, I'm told. In addition, I'm also told that a felony conviction of one of them is NOT an automatic expulsion, as it would be for one of us. The difference in laws may be one reason GLoT & PHA are still separated.

rhitland

Founding Member
Premium Member
Good point brother Bill about the laws, that could def. be a reason we cannot co-mingle. This song really has got me to thinking about how differently we express ourselves but ultimately are saying the same thing. That song was all about making yourself better and not being a wanna be sheep in society, it just kinda came of harsh at first to my country boy ears.

Wingnut

Premium Member
I agree with Blake dont like the words used. Imagine that being read or said or played in some of the lodges we have discussed before. There would be hell to pay..

owls84

Premium Member
Yeah you are right Wingnut, heads would roll, but as I have said the topics they cover are amazing. If you get past the language and listen to the message it is powerful. I personally get excited just listening to it. I am not a fan of rap but I appreciate the message.

Blake - You are right. When I first looked months ago it was at the height of the Jay-Z rumors and there were a ton of sites saying he is. It looks like now it is the other way.

Bill - What says that if you have a felony you are NOT allowed in our Fraternity? My understanding, which came from the GS, is a crime against a child is the only one that is automatically is a no go. Now you can't get a felony while you are a Mason but you can have one before you join. Is tha correct? I was under the impression when I read your post that no person convicted of a felony can join Masonry.

Dave in Waco

Premium Member
I agree about some the language of the song being too harsh. Kind of gives the wrong inmpression of Masonry being a bit thugish.

As for the felony, if I remember the GL law correctly, I believe it states a crime involving "moral turpitude".

owls84

Premium Member
That is not in the law but on the petition. And that is just so the investigators can inquire about it. The words from the Grand Secretary, while at a secretary's school, were only a crime against a child is an automatic no. The rest should be based on case by case and up to the investigators.

Ashton Lawson

Premium Member
I'll have to go back and try to read the words, because honestly, I have a very difficult time tuning into a message that is that rife with expletives, racial epithets, and offensive language.

If someone spoke to me like that in a lodge, I'd ask them to leave the lodge, their message be damned.

Delivery is important.