My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Freemasons For Dummies

vanderson78102

I just ordered this book from Amazon.com. Has anyone read it? Is it any good? I've been having trouble finding the decent masonic books to dig out from the pile of conspiracy theories and whatnot. I did read Born In Blood and found it to be very interesting.

Martin O

I did read this book as well as the "for idiots" book while I was waiting for my first degree to roll around. For me they complimented each other well and give a lot of good background information and history. It didn't ruin my lodge experience as it didn't give those details, as is proper. Born in blood was a good read as well :)

Benton

Premium Member
It's an excellent resource. I would recommend it to anyone who wants more information on Masonry. It's a good primer.

Dave in Waco

Premium Member
I too found it a great resource. In fact, I believe Brother Hodapp is a member here as well. I know his website is one of the sources of our newsfeeds.

Hndrx

Premium Member
It turned out to be a very important part of my research into Masonry. I think it is a good book and contributed to my developing a positive view of Masonry.

tomasball

Premium Member
With all Fraternal respect to Bro. Hodapp, he has many dates, names and historical points wrong. As far as serious reference material goes, I would recommend something more thorough, like Coil's Encyclopedia. For light reading, Morris' "Idiot's Guide" is more reliable when it comes to useful facts.

When it comes to meticulous examination of Masonic History, I would venture that Robert F. Gould is the gold standard.

Last edited:

Martin O

. As far as serious reference material goes, I would recommend something more thorough, like Coil's Encyclopedia.
When it comes to meticulous examination of Masonic History, I would venture that Robert F. Gould is the gold standard.

My lodge has these in its library, I'll be sure go through them when the opportunity presents itself. Thanks for the heads up:thumbup: :SNC:

Beathard

Premium Member
I enjoyed it and then donated it to the lodge library. It is a good read. It does not give to much away, but is a good answer to all of the bad publications out there.

cemab4y

Premium Member
I read it some years ago. It is an excellent introduction for a beginner, and a good review for any Mason. My highest recommendation.

Casey

Mandalorian
Premium Member
I read the one by brother S. Brent Morris and loved it! But it's the complete idiots guide

Tony Siciliano

Premium Member
I'll add my recommendation to this book as well. I thoroughly enjoyed it. Bro. Hodapp is a true traveling man - on the road giving speeches for most of the year. I would love to get him in to my district...

Bro. Bennett

Premium Member
Both books, the Idiots guide and For Dummies are a part of my Library to loan out to those wishing to find out for themselves what Masonry is about...

Stephen

Both books, the Idiots guide and For Dummies are a part of my Library to loan out to those wishing to find out for themselves what Masonry is about...

I order the 'For Dummies' version a week ago off of Amazon. I just didn't want to read anything that would ruin the experiences of gaining my degrees.

Benton

Premium Member
I will say, in regards to the earlier post in the thread, Brother Hodapp does get some historical dates and facts wrong. There are errors in the book, particularly in the historical section, and he has acknowledged them. However, the publisher hasn't seen reason to print a new edition, not for the few errors there are.

That said, I wouldn't recommend his book for the history lesson. There real value in the book is found in that chapters that explain what a lodge is, what it does, and what are the various appendant bodies. The chapters that dispel various myths are nice as well. I know people in my generation who don't even understand that Freemasonry is a fraternity. Those are the people who need these kinds of books, not hard core Masonic scholars. It's written to a particular audience, the novice, and it serves that purpose nicely.

Benton

Premium Member
He is a member, although I don't know that he participates much. He's very active on facebook, and I follow his blog freemasonsfordummies.blogspot.com almost religiously. Excellent source of Masonic news, maybe the best out there.