My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Gently nudging a prospect to join

Alfie Conn

It seems that we let so many fine prospective brothers slip through our net. I try to mention the Gentle Craft at least once a day and our $trong contribution$ to the community. I’m aware that we can’t offer an invite but can’t we nudge them? A neighbor tells me that he invites many potential candidates to join his Knights of Columbus council and they seem to be thriving. And our fraternity seems to lose ground. Thoughts? Comments?

coachn

Coach John S. Nagy
Premium Member
It seems that we let so many fine prospective brothers slip through our net.

If you're thinking we have a net to capture prospects with, you're not attracting, your capturing.

I try to mention the Gentle Craft at least once a day and our $trong contribution$ to the community.

Ya see there... you're PROMOTING, rather than ATTRACTING. NOT a good long term strategy and above all, it'll turn good people off to the point that they will build a wall and it'll bring in only those people that you really don;t want.

I’m aware that we can’t offer an invite but can’t we nudge them?

We can... but it would be counterproductive to our ends in mind.

A neighbor tells me that he invites many potential candidates to join his Knights of Columbus council and they seem to be thriving.

Yeah, and I've been in those type of organization that do that kind of membership building. I avoid them like the plague.

And our fraternity seems to lose ground. Thoughts? Comments?

We're not losing ground. Were trimming dead wood.

T.Hicks05

Peace and blessings...I've found it propelling how people show interest yet desire to be pursued instead of pursuing their dreams and admiration. Alongside many lodges simply desiring members for financial purposes solely...yet a majority of those initiated Masons are able to defend their light. We must all aide one another.

MarkR

Premium Member
It depends on jurisdiction. In Minnesota, I'm permitted to ask someone if they'd be interested, but I can only ask them once, and then have to leave them alone about it. Far too many possible good candidates are mistakenly under the impression that you must be invited, and since we never invite, they think they've been found unworthy. I know, because I was that guy for a long time.

Winter

Premium Member
Some jurisdictions have gone full steam the opposite direction. My own GL of Wisconsin recently put out "pocket petitions" so every Brother would have one ready on him at all times to put one in the hand of any man they thought would be a good fit. I'll leave any judgement on the practice to wiser heads than mine.

Keith C

It depends on jurisdiction. In Minnesota, I'm permitted to ask someone if they'd be interested, but I can only ask them once, and then have to leave them alone about it. Far too many possible good candidates are mistakenly under the impression that you must be invited, and since we never invite, they think they've been found unworthy. I know, because I was that guy for a long time.

This is very similar to how Pennsylvania operates. We are permitted to tell someone you think they would be a good fit / invite them to join, but they still have to pass all the usual processes to join.

Bloke

Premium Member
I think it is simple, people can't join us if they don't know we exist.. and men will be more likely to join if they understand the true benefits of being a mason... so talk about what you like about being a Freemason.

Armando Cobarrubio

It seems that we let so many fine prospective brothers slip through our net. I try to mention the Gentle Craft at least once a day and our $trong contribution$ to the community. I’m aware that we can’t offer an invite but can’t we nudge them? A neighbor tells me that he invites many potential candidates to join his Knights of Columbus council and they seem to be thriving. And our fraternity seems to lose ground. Thoughts? Comments?
We are not the Nights of Columbus . We answer the call from Brothers when in there heart , it is time to open the door, making good men better. We are many things, but we do not use a net or invite anyone , my brothers there are many says as we stand together to go strengthen and add to our numbers as we have always done.
Masonic Grande Lodge in Arizona , we we seek .

Winter

Premium Member
We are not the Nights of Columbus . We answer the call from Brothers when in there heart , it is time to open the door, making good men better. We are many things, but we do not use a net or invite anyone , my brothers there are many says as we stand together to go strengthen and add to our numbers as we have always done.
Whether it is right or not, there are absolutely some regular jurisdictions that do recruit and invite.

Glen Cook

G A Cook
Site Benefactor
UGLE: there is no objection to a neutrally worded approach being made to a man who could be considered a suitable candidate for Freemasonry. There can be no objection to his being reminded, once, that the approach was made. Information for the Guidance of Members of the Craft, 2013, page 36.

Scotland:
  1. Brethren are at liberty to discuss the question of joininthe Craft with those members of the public whom the consider would be a credit to the order.
It is understood per a Grand lodge officer that Alabama allows an invitation

The current understanding in CA is that a mason could tell someone that they think that they would be a good mason. After that if asked the mason may provide more information.

Florida: allowed to ask, but only once.

NM Code 308. SELECTIVE INVITATION.Any Master Mason in good standing may invite a man he knows to be of good character and morals to join the fraternity if he qualifies under Codes 301, 302 and 303 above

Minnesota rule:

Proper solicitation shall consist of the following: A man of sterling qualities may be approached and informed, but only once. He must beleft to make his own decision. He should not be badgered

Michigan: permits selective solicitation. A Brother can ask a man he knows well if he’d like to join.

Nevada if you know someone who would benefit from membership and benefit the craft at the same time it is ok to approach them about membership. The code says they cannot coerced.

Illinois has an invitation to petition in which upon the recommendation of three brethren an individual may be balloted upon and if approved, invited to petition.

We have been able to invite men to become Masons in Oklahoma since 1985. But we cannot solicit men to join. Solicitation is defined in our jurisdiction as “urging with obnoxious persistence.” We can invite; we just can’t twist a man’s arm to join.

PA: Our tradition was to wait for you to seek membership entirely of your own free will and accord. Today, however, we allow our members to selectively invite men of good character, who will be a credit to our Fraternity.

TX allows a neutrally worded invitation

Utah: The definition of improper solicitation of a potential candidate is any proposal by a Mason that involves coercion or implied negative retaliation of any kind. 2012 Proceedings Page 39.

Wisconsin: solicitation is allowed.

Mike Martin

Eternal Apprentice
Premium Member
UGLE: there is no objection to a neutrally worded approach being made to a man who could be considered a suitable candidate for Freemasonry. There can be no objection to his being reminded, once, that the approach was made. Information for the Guidance of Members of the Craft, 2013, page 36.
It has moved to page 40 of the current (2021) edition.