My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

George Washington Master Mason Degree

Winter

Premium Member
I would love to witness that and the degrees they do in civil war atire.

When I was Master of my Lodge in Wisconsin I sponsored a group of Brothers in the area who were avid Civil War reenactors to form a themed Lodge where all members conducted the work in period garb and styling. My Lodge became one of their official home meeting locations. I even acquired full kit for a SGM in the 20th Maine Volunteer Infantry so I could participate, though I never actually got a plural membership. The Lodge is named for the two Brothers in the famous story from the Civil War that highlighted our compassion for one another despite differences. Armistead-Bingham Lodge #1862 is alive and well today!

http://armisteadbinghamlodge1862.blogspot.com/

Keith C

It is interesting that they perform a "George Washington" MM degree. For anyone who has attended one of these, is the ritual any different than the normal MM ritual in the Jurisdiction?

It is doubtful many from outside of Pennsylvania would recognize the rituals wherein Bro. George Washington was Entered, Passed and Raised as at the time of his joining the Fraternity, his Lodge was one of the "other Masonic Jurisdictions Thereunto Belonging" to the Grand Lodge of Pennsylvania.

It is also interesting to note, that Bro. George was Worshipful Master of his Lodge when it changed Jurisdictions from the GLof PA to the GLofVA, so he is one of a handful of brothers to be WM of the same Lodge under 2 separate Grand Lodges.

Keith C

I will also note that we are doing our next Stated Meeting, Next Wednesday in Civil War Uniforms and the Program will center around Freemasonry in Pennsylvania during the Civil War. Specific segments will be on Gen. Hancock, The events commemorated by the "Friend to Friend" monument on the Gettysburg Battlefield, and the Burning of Chambersburg, where the 1/2 block surrounding the Masonic Lodge was spared from the burning.