My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Getting raised

David612

Congratulations, Bro David612 - are you in Australia? Does it normally take years to be raised to the sublime degree of an MM?

Sent from my iPhone using My Freemasonry mobile app
I am in Australia yes and it depends on your jurisdiction- some lodges are happy to speed up the process a bit but it’s generally a year or more-
I never pushed for the next degree and just spent time reading and learning my work.
We work in the 1st degree, EA can vote in lodge etc so not really a big drawback from being an EA other than getting kicked out of some stuff early.

hfmm97

Premium Member
Bro David612 - my younger brother (not a Freemason) is also named David- I think that in Texas (and the rest of the USA) we go through the degrees much too fast (I took six months, and all I was required to do was memorize questions for the EA, FC and MM) most brothers take about a year....
I've heard in South American lodges the brothers are REQUIRED to read classics on philosophy, history (Masonic and non-Masonic) as well as religious texts, then write papers and present them orally in Lodge. The only time we have to write papers and do Masonic research is if we join a special research lodge (must be a Master Mason to join as an associate member). In the MW Grand Lodge of Texas only MMs can vote but most of our meetings are open on the EA degree except when passing a brother to the FC or MM degree or if receiving dignitaries such as District or Grand Lodge officers in an official visit.

CLewey44

Bro David612 - my younger brother (not a Freemason) is also named David- I think that in Texas (and the rest of the USA) we go through the degrees much too fast (I took six months, and all I was required to do was memorize questions for the EA, FC and MM) most brothers take about a year....
I've heard in South American lodges the brothers are REQUIRED to read classics on philosophy, history (Masonic and non-Masonic) as well as religious texts, then write papers and present them orally in Lodge. The only time we have to write papers and do Masonic research is if we join a special research lodge (must be a Master Mason to join as an associate member). In the MW Grand Lodge of Texas only MMs can vote but most of our meetings are open on the EA degree except when passing a brother to the FC or MM degree or if receiving dignitaries such as District or Grand Lodge officers in an official visit.

I think too, the more you invest in something (monetarily or emotionally) the more you'll take it seriously and be involved with it. We had the 'Insta-Masons' in Oklahoma where they showed up one day as a candidate and left that afternoon a 'Master Mason'. The two guys I knew that did that rarely, if ever, showed up to lodge. Pretty sad how we assume here easier means more people will be involved but really all it does is cheapen the whole thing and makes it less desirable to join in the first place. In those areas it takes years to be a MM, they probably take it seriously. Granted there probably isn't a lodge on every street corner of every little town, the ones that exist are probably thriving and doing well.

I think Masonry has to evolve away from a social activity (something most people don't have time for anymore) to a more philosophical organization. This would dwindle numbers even more but I'm ok with that if it means less lodges hanging by a thread and more exploding with activity. It would also produce the type of men we want by giving them something to go by vs. telling them a password and grip and saying good luck, you're a mason. Now, let's go talk about fundraisers, someone's friend's, wife's 95 y/o great-aunt that broke her hip and vote on paying our electric bills.

David612

Since being raised I have been assigned an EA to mentor-
Some have pointed out that this is very early however my interpretation of mentoring in our lodge is basically being the new masons contact between meetings, building a friendship and yes helping them with their work- Someone has to ask so you may answer, right?

There seems to be some concern that a new Master is not yet experienced enough to help an EA, I can’t help but think back to my raising and some of the instructions given on this subject.

Keith C

Some have pointed out that this is very early however my interpretation of mentoring in our lodge is basically being the new masons contact between meetings, building a friendship and yes helping them with their work- Someone has to ask so you may answer, right?

There seems to be some concern that a new Master is not yet experienced enough to help an EA, I can’t help but think back to my raising and some of the instructions given on this subject.

Just my opinion, but a faithful and dedicated newly raised Master Mason, who is willing to find the answers he may not know, is better than a more experienced Brother "going through the motions." Also you will grow as a Master Mason in this endeavor almost as much as the Brother you mentor.

In our lodge if you are the first line signer of a petition, you are expected to serve as mentor to that person throughout their degrees and first year as a Master Mason. So no one is ever "assigned" to be a mentor, they take that responsibility on themselves when signing a petition.

David612

I had not even considered that a new master would not be considered suitable for mentoring an EA until it was pointed out to me-
I have to say I was a little defensive at the notion, in the two years of my degrees I think I met with my mentor no more than 3 times to work, obviously this is just my experience but it seemed obvious to me that the new EA would be the one to fall through the cracks as he isn’t comfortable enough to be more demanding of time as he doesn’t know what to expect and as such is a perpetual outsider-
A new master- not yet eligible for the appendant bodies to my mind would be an ideal mentor, the work is fresh in his mind,the Masonic demands on his time are lower and so on..

dfreybur

Premium Member

Some of our secrets are the type that we could shout from the roof tops and they stay secret. One of them is the fellowship. We start with shaking hands at lodge and gradually moving from acquaintances to friends. Being mentored and later being the mentor is one of those ways.

Right now you teach a Brother who just begun his work. Right now you learn what your actual work as a Master Mason is. For him it's about the proficiency and what the ritual means. For you it's about the secrets that are hidden in the open and what the ritual points to. While he is learning by heart, you are learning heart. One word of difference, a world of difference.

The not yet experienced part is deliberate though not necessarily conscious. You are the bridge between the young and the old. The faithful heart may be listed third, but you are now learning that it comes between the receptive ear and the instructive tongue.

I give Masonic Education talks at various lodges and sometimes at district. This month my topic will be three symbolic meanings of the EA jewel. This discussion has given my an outline for a similar topic on the meanings of the FC jewels.

Keith C

I give Masonic Education talks at various lodges and sometimes at district. This month my topic will be three symbolic meanings of the EA jewel. This discussion has given my an outline for a similar topic on the meanings of the FC jewels.

These terms - EA jewel & FC jewels are not something used in PA. Is this something you can elaborate on in this forum or is it something to discuss only in a tyled environment?

Brother JC

Moderating Staff
Staff Member
I believe he is referring to placement of the Lights... so not something that should be openly discussed.

Bloke

Premium Member
Congrats Bro David !

...I've heard in South American lodges the brothers are REQUIRED to read classics on philosophy, history (Masonic and non-Masonic) as well as religious texts, then write papers and present them orally in Lodge....

Indeed. We have a joining member from Chile where they not only do this, but spent two years as an EA, two as a FC...