My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Good reading for a new MM?

Bro Mike

Any suggestions for books that would be good reading about Freemasonry or Masons in Texas? I am only a few days past my MM degree and I am looking forward to diving into a little "light reading" - feel free to use that joke...

So far I have only read the handbooks given out as I proceeded through the degrees, and the Claudy PDFs that were linked to in another thread on this site.

Thanks guys,

R

ravickery03

How Good is the only Texas book that I know of, and that chornicled lodges in the south Texas area. It isn't in print anymore, but sometimes you can catch it on ebay.

Bro Mike

Sorry, I am not looking specifically for books on Masonry in Texas, more importantly, I would like to read up on the best stuff out there. Like the best books you guys might have come across.

JTM

"Just in case"
Premium Member
the book that the GL gives you this year is a great place to start. also let's you know what you can talk about by mentioning a lot of things (in writing) that you would assume to be esoteric.

TexMass

If you haven't read "Freemasons for Dummies", you should. I learned quite a bit about the other bodies that I didn't know.

cmoreno85tx

If you haven't read "Freemasons for Dummies", you should. I learned quite a bit about the other bodies that I didn't know.

It is an awesome book. It helped me in making my decision in becoming a Mason. Also "Freemasonry for Idiots" is great.

JTM

"Just in case"
Premium Member
i like reading about all the conspiracies as well. don't forget those!

TexMass

I posted this info on the last forum before the crash of '08.

I read one of the best books ever this year. It's about a high school football team back in the late '20's to '40's in TX. It was a small school with only 12 players. They were moved up from class B to Class A (they only had two classes) by their choice. Their first year they played in the state championship. They ruled TX football for many years even though they were out weighed by up to 40 lbs per man. The name of the book is "Twelve Mighty Orphans". The high school was the TX Masonic Home. If you're a Mason, Texan, or both it should be required reading. ESPN said "if you only read one sports book this year, read Twelve Mighty Orphans".