GOULD'S HISTORY OF FREEMASONRY THROUGHOUT THE WORLD

Discussion in 'History and Research' started by Bloke, Sep 29, 2017.

1. Bloke

Bloke Premium Member

I often use this publication of 1898, do others ? I find it's normally fairly accurate for Australia and such, but this might be because later Masonic writers rely on it.

Do you use it, does it do justice your local Freemasonry in your area ?

2. LK600

LK600 Premium Member

I recently bought Gould's History of Freemasonry throughout The World (1936 6 volume set). As to it's accuracy, I'm far to "new" to answer that, though I sincerely hope it is since that was the entire purpose of my purchase ( and the cost) lol.

Bloke likes this.
  3. Bloke

Bloke Premium Member

You're keen ! I once saw it cheap in an antique shop, but didn't buy it. I should have, to give it to someone like yourself.. but me, I am trying not to buy books anymore... only e-books.. .and really, that's where Gould's is great for the "find" function... I wonder what the index is it is like ?

Out of interest, when was your version published ?

LK600 likes this.
  4. Bloke

Bloke Premium Member

(opps... and thank you for replying... I'm writing a long article and have been reading reading reading... Gould was a starting point.. been stuck in newspaper articles for hours... if you ever want to research something prior to WW2 in Australia, you can access newspapers on line for free http://trove.nla.gov.au/ - its a wonderful resource... I was even reading how the American Fleet came to Tassie in 1925 and the warm welcome the Brothers got.. there is a series of similar articles for other Australian Cities they visited..... 1925 'FLEET FREEMASONS', The Mercury (Hobart, Tas. : 1860 - 1954), 7 August, p. 7. , viewed 29 Sep 2017, http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article29108717 )

5. LK600

LK600 Premium Member

Seems like a great resource for sure. I wish you the best of luck on your article! Researching (anything) has always been a fulfilling activity for me.... unless there's no progress, then beer always helps. ;)

6. JamestheJust

JamestheJust Registered User

The 1936 edition is reputed to have been edited to suit the sensibilities of particular Grand Lodges.

7. Warrior1256

Warrior1256 Site Benefactor

I had not heard of this volume before. Will check it out if I ever run across it.

8. chrmc

chrmc Registered User

It's a great resource, but should taken with a grain of salt on some of the opinions expressed by the author in there. I think the accuracy of dates and what happened are good, but his larger interpretation is not that nuanced.

9. Bloke

Bloke Premium Member

I've don
    Agree.

10. Bloke

Bloke Premium Member

Which ones ?

11. JamestheJust

JamestheJust Registered User

The 1882 volume is dedicated the UGLE GM - the Prince of Wales.

The 1936 volumes are:

"...UNDER THE SUPERVISION OF MELVIN M. JOHNSON Past Grand Master of Masons in Massachusetts, and M . • . P .- . Sovereign Grand Commander of the Supreme Council, 33 5 for the Northern Masonic Jurisdiction of the United States AND J . EDWARD ALLEN Foreign Correspondent and Reviewer Grand Lodge, Grand Chapter, Grand Council, Grand Commandcry of North Carolina and the Grand Encampment K. T . of the United States"

12. Bloke

Bloke Premium Member

Thanks !

Share My Freemasonry