My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

great grandfather

jhale1158

I thought my great grandad was my bloodline great grandad. He will always be in my heart, but apparently he is not blood. My family fled from my real Great Grandad for whatever reason and changed their names. Which throws my Geneaology way off. Thought I was mostly German. Well come to fid out by asking my dad if he knew anything about his blood grandad, and found out I am Irish!!!!

I was so excited to find that out and now I'm trying to trace it all back. I DID fin out that my known Great Grandads father was in fact a Freemason. I was so happy to find that out!

I love history, and thanks for reading my post. Thought I'd share my new found heritage

Brent Heilman

Premium Member
It can be tricky doing research like that. I know it was difficult for me. My mother was adopted so I never knew her side of the family. After a few months of research though I have nailed it down pretty good. 9 generations ago her family came to America from Scotland via Ireland. Something about a King wanting to kill 3 brothers. 2 didn't make it but one did and so here we are. Coming from a place like that sure leads to so interesting discoveries.

widows son

Premium Member
Although my family doesn't have history in masonry, most of my ancestors were pirates who eventually overthrew a small village in calabria Italy, they then ruled the city for 5 generations until the outbreak of the napoleanic war in Europe where they were deposed. After the war they tried to oppose the unification of the kingdom of Italy but with no avail. That's as far as I got, my late uncle had lots of documents pertaining to my family history but they seem to have be lost or forgotten about. What a shame

CajunTinMan

Yeah. My Great Grandmaothers on both sides came off of reservations. Not alot of info there but I was able to trace back to Scotland on my Fathers side. It's a blast to find things out. Never have figured out this Indian fetish in my families though...lol

The LDS website can be alot of help. They keep great geology records.
https://familysearch.org/

Last edited:

Brother JC

Moderating Staff
Staff Member
Never have figured out this Indian fetish in my families though...lol
Most often it came down to the only available source of a wife that wasn't related to you. I can trace one line back to Acadia, and that was the case there. Nearly every 'single' male immigrant married into the tribes.