Head Covered

Discussion in 'General Freemasonry Discussion' started by Papatom, Nov 15, 2010.

1. Papatom

Papatom Premium Member Premium Member

How can a Muslum sit in the east wearing a turban?

2. Blake Bowden

Blake Bowden Administrator Staff Member

I don't see why not.

3. JohnnyFlotsam

JohnnyFlotsam Premium Member

Why do you ask?
    BTW, in general, "Muslims" don't wear turbans. They are not required to wear any particular headgear. Perhaps you were thinking of members of the Sikh faith?

4. coachn

coachn Coach John S. Nagy Premium Member

Just a wildly uninformed guess: Just like any other person would sit in the East wearing a turban.

5. JTM

JTM "Just in case" Premium Member

i thought in texas it had to be a full brimmed hat.

while not required, they are popular in the middle east, northeast african, and southwest asia... the sikh "turban" is a very specific kind of turban (actually a Dastar)

Last edited: Nov 15, 2010
  6. Bro. Stewart P.M.

Bro. Stewart P.M. Lead Moderator Emeritus Staff Member

I am with JTM on this one, I also was under the impression (at least in Texas) that the hat has to have a full brim.

7. ShadyGrove821

ShadyGrove821 Registered User

It is my understanding that Sikhs never wear any headgear on top of their turbans. If a Sikh Mason were to be elected Master of a Texas Lodge, I would hope that the Grand Master would grant dispensation for him to preside wearing his turban only.

8. Bill Lins

Bill Lins Moderating Staff Staff Member

Art. 278. (New). Master Presiding “Covered.”

The ancient custom of the Master presiding “covered” must be complied with, except that the Brother presiding at Masonic funerals, memorial services, graveside services or during open meetings of the Lodge, may at his discretion, preside over such services and ceremonies uncovered. To be “covered” shall mean the wearing of a hat, and a hat is described as a head covering with a shaped crown and full circle brim. (Revised 1997)

9. JTM

this would make a lot of sense to me.

10. Papatom

Papatom Premium Member Premium Member

Another question, esotric work requires the word GOD, how would he get around this?

11. ShadyGrove821

Are you referring to Muslims or Sikhs?

12. ShadyGrove821

Are you concerned with what is on his head, or what is in his heart?

13. JohnnyFlotsam

Why would he need to "get around" it?

14. QPZIL

QPZIL Premium Member

I don't think a Muslim would have a problem using the word "God". In fact, that's exactly what "Allah" translates to. It is not a separate name or a separate entity. It's the same as saying "Dios" in Spanish, "Gott" in German, "Dieu" in French, "Elohim" in Hebrew, or "God" in English. It's all referring to the same Grand Architect of the Universe.

And if he believes in a monotheistic god that punishes vice and rewards virtue and has revealed his will to man; if he has the principles of Masonry in his heart... well, I have no problem calling him Brother.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2010
  15. JTM

if his religion has a veda as the volume of sacred law and he wants to say something else besides god, he's just fine to change it in the esoteric work, according to GLoT law.

16. bullrack33

bullrack33 Premium Member

I would hope for this too. Especially since Freemasonry encompasses all religions without prejudice. I fear however, that way to many of our brethren do not hold this to be true.

I sincerely hope that I don't offend anyone by this but since Freemasonry encompasses all forms of religion, I personally believe that all references to Deity should be made through the phrase "Grand Architect Of The Universe".

17. JohnnyFlotsam

Excellent.
    It's nice to know that, in this case at least, Masonic rules and regulations can't be used by some misguided brethren to exclude members of certain religions.

18. JTM

we get people trying every year. aka, someone making an amendment so that only the king james version of the bible can be used on the altar as the VSL. wait... what? not only is someone trying to make it so that we can't have other books on there, it has to be their specific version? :: sigh ::

19. JohnnyFlotsam

It is depressing, I grant you, but it is also an opportunity for understanding and, I suspect, teaching. I'd be quite keen to hear just why someone, and a Freemason in particular, would feel the need to discriminate so. I have my suspicions, but I'd genuinely like the hear it from the horses... mouth. Why should the language or required religious garb be used as a reason to abandon the use of the Level?

20. bullrack33

bullrack33 Premium Member

I would be willing to bet that Thornton Lodge withdraws this proposal just like they did with the similar one they made last year.

Share My Freemasonry