My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

healthy eating

jvarnell

Premium Member
I am not sure if this is a good place to ask this question but here I go. I am at the Sacramento airport and went by a place that is called Healthy eating. This in it self is not odd but there were only carbs in the place nothing but carbs. HOW IS THIS HEALTHY!!!! For one thing carbs are converted in to Glycogen in your body (your pancreas tells your liver to make lipids which clestrol is one of and fat storage. If there is enough fats in the food intake your body dosent make as much.

Our bodys were built to need everything not just Carbs or just protine.

So why is it healthy to eat all grain (carbs) and nothing else? And this is just a start of my conterain views of what is being tought in med school.

crono782

Premium Member
Healthy eating is just as diverse as politics. I've actually heard some people remark how any meat or any fat are deathly bad for you, so all they do is eat carbs and veggies. Awful stuff. I think Atkins is just as bad. I was on Paleo for a good while and I did feel great and lost a good amount of body fat, but I just couldn't keep it up. It's just too extreme for my taste. I love to eat too much.

Maybe they actually still think that the food pyramid is correct, hah.

widows son

Premium Member
I took nutrition and health science in culinary school. Grains aren't necessarily good for you because of the gluten content. We as humans haven't evolved yet to process gluten. We've been eating meat longer than grains, only in the last 10,000 years at the dawn of the agricultural revolution have we been eating grains as opposed to the 100,000 years we've been eating meat. Generally carbs in the form of grains and carbs that grow underground aren't the best for you, although grains have a substantial amount of nutrition, in most case the gluten prevent the full absorption on the nutrients. If you sprout grains, the nutrition become tenfold and the gluten get broken down making better for absorption. My diet consists of protein and lots of green vegetables, eating raw vegetables first to promote good diegestion as there are numerous enzymes in raw vegetables. I do eat carbs but only 2oz per serving, and it's in the form of vegetable that have carbs. I don't eat bread ( my Italian nonna hates that) as the carbs in bread are complex and don't break down properly due to the gluten and other preservatives in our flour. There are many ways to eat healthy. Don't be shy to MSG me, I'm not an expert but I've been educated in that field, I could have been a nutritionist instead of a chef, but where's the fun in that?

widows son

Premium Member
A balance diet is the way to go but everyone is different so a food pyramid is just not accurate for the individual, I see it more as a mundane guide than something that has to be rigorously followed, paleo is a great diet but it's tough, same with the vegan diet, too extreme, me likey meat. I can refer some good sources if anyone is interested

BryanMaloney

Premium Member
I am not sure if this is a good place to ask this question but here I go. I am at the Sacramento airport and went by a place that is called Healthy eating. This in it self is not odd but there were only carbs in the place nothing but carbs. HOW IS THIS HEALTHY!

It's not. Sugar-laden breakfast cereals are advertised as "healthy", too. There is actually no legal definition of "healthy".

BryanMaloney

Premium Member
I took nutrition and health science in culinary school. Grains aren't necessarily good for you because of the gluten content. We as humans haven't evolved yet to process gluten.

That's like claiming humans can't digest lactose. Some can, some can't.

I don't eat bread ( my Italian nonna hates that) as the carbs in bread are complex and don't break down properly due to the gluten and other preservatives in our flour. There are many ways to eat healthy. Don't be shy to MSG me, I'm not an expert but I've been educated in that field, I could have been a nutritionist instead of a chef, but where's the fun in that?

Nutritionists advocate complex carbohydrates over simple carbohydrates, actually. The problem is when one has too much or one has a defective digestive system.

widows son

Premium Member
Actually gluten can't be broken down easily by the digestive tract, which is why we have celiac and crones. Humans aren't designed to drink milk past the weaning stage. Think about it. What other creature consumes another creatures milk? Milk if for infant mammals, thats it. Dairy is unnatural to the human digestion system. This is why we see kids noses running all the time, they cant process it in their still developing bodies We've only been consuming milk and dairy for a few thousand years, not enough time to evolve to process it, as I've mentioned above about grains. It take approx 100 - 50,000 years for one genome to evolve. The appropriate comment would be some humans have a higher tolerance to
Lactose than others and a lot of it has to do with culture. Middle easterners have a lower tolerance because their culture doesn't consume dairy whereas Europeans have a higher tolerance and can process it, due to it being in their diet, but still has adverse effect on the immune system. And you are right about the complex/ simple carbs, I
mistakenly wrote that. Man made carbs are simply bad for your system, the problem is the effects are slow to emerge as with dairy and the problems don't get noticed until later in life due to this slow process. This is because of human manufacturing processes and the inability to process them ourselves. I haven't had dairy in my diet for about 5 years, with a handful of exception( cheese is my vice but can't eat it due to my intolerance) same with man made carbs. I haven't had to visit a doctor in 4 years and have maintained a steady weight of 185 lbs with 7% body fat. I rigorously exercise, and eat healthy about 95% of the time.

CajunTinMan

All and all I can tell you that Widows Son is correct. With my kidneys I can no longer break down gluten or proteins for that matter. I am a cheese freak. Now dairy is off the table. Jvarnell this is not a bad time to bring this up at all. I didn't understand proper nutrition and have done a lot of damage to my body. That and exposure to depleted uranium in Desert Storm. I think this is a great topic. We need to learn to develop great recipes that people will want to eat that are nutritious. We ain't getting any younger.

CajunTinMan

Oh I am sorry I forgot to tell you. I did find the American sandwich cheese that even my wife can barely tell the difference. Thanx

widows son

Premium Member
It's funny because we have this info at our fingertips but people are still getting sick. In our age of information and technology this shouldn't be the case

widows son

Premium Member
In Canada a legislation past where chocolate bars and chips aren't allowed to be sold in vending machines in elementary and high schools. I think this is a good initiative to promote good health in young kids

JJones

Goodness, we're they aware of the effects?

Pretty sure they were/are...I mean it's uranium. Don't they still use it?

In Canada a legislation past where chocolate bars and chips aren't allowed to be sold in vending machines in elementary and high schools. I think this is a good initiative to promote good health in young kids

This reminded me of when I was in Jr. High we had this soda that was called Surge. It had more sugar and caffeine than Mountain Dew and kids were drinking like five or six of them during their lunch period. You can imagine the results and they quickly stopped selling it in a lot of schools.

widows son

Premium Member
I bet. It's no different than a drug, they get so wired that their brains can't focus and then they crash from the caffeine and can't focus even more because they're mentally tired. The same went with our cafeteria, everything was greasy and deep fried, the only thing they sold that wasn't was fruit, and it was a small basket next to the cashier lol. But also I forgot to include that in the legislation they also limited the number of cola drinks in the vending machines, having juice, and water, and only 2 options of cola.