My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Help:Professionally-based Masonic Connections

Magnus

Brothers,

I have been a MM for over 7 years, I have not yet been aware of professional networking within the fraternity (that is in Illinois, my state).
Recently we faced a very traumatic experience, as a family (me and my wife) concerning loss and grief.
Additionally, at work (I am an Assistant Principal in a public school), just last week I was devastated with the way my immediate supervisor provided me feedback, and there might be important implications in my professional life.
If any Brother might know a US based school administrator with experience, I would be deeply grateful to connect with him.
As a note, I have received in the past state level recognition in my role as educator, and being in my second year in administration I go even above and beyond making the best reflection of what a true professional Mason is.
Feel free to connect/respond to this message in case you know anyone or even if you are an educator administrator yourself.

Fraternally,

Magnus

Matt L

Site Benefactor
Brother Magnus, I'm sorry you've had to experience a loss in your family and were treated in an unprofessional manner during your eval. My wife is an Asst Principal at a large public school. Before going into education, she was a game warden for 20 years. Her evals as a teacher were outstanding and she received tenure early.
Her principle is a career educator with a PhD in education and a JD. She has never been in the real world and has no life outside the building. They are also a level 5 school whatever that means.
My wife is first in and last to leave. When she received her first eval as an administrator, it wasn't what she expected, she hadn't received any negative feedback at all until her sit down. She was stunned and starting questioning why she left the classroom.
She ended up talking with a principle that was mentoring her during her transition from the classroom. They brokered a meeting, laid everything out on the table. It turns out the principle felt my wife was challenging her authority, because the process improvements she asked my wife to work on, were working. Go figure.
I hope you find someone that can assist you. Sounds to me that your boss thinks school comes before family.

Magnus

Brother Matt,

Thanks for your kind message. Overall yours resembles a very similar situation. However this is my second year.
I hope your wife might have had a better professional consideration after that bitter experience.
I get that, once in administration elements like time, being able to eat lunch and almost 'opening and closing' the school are a given (a 'sacrificed' given).
However, going above and beyond and sacrificing family and personal time to meet each and every need of the school must be considered.
I really wish we could have a possibility in our Fraternity to connect with professionals in the same field. In this case, it would be a great source of light for continuing my professional path.
Brother Matt, thanks for being the first Brother responding.
Respectfully,
Brother 'Magnus'