Help with Identifying 1900s Uniform

Discussion in 'History and Research' started by Marina-R, Apr 19, 2017.

1. Marina-R

Marina-R Registered User

Hello! I've been doing a lot of genealogy research lately, and I'm very curious about this illustration of my 2nd great grandfather.

Picture 13.jpg Picture 15.jpg

His name was William H. Foelker, born 1868 in Philadelphia, and he was in Philadelphia his entire life. I haven't been able to find his grave though. He looks to be about 35 or 40 in this picture, so I estimate the creation being somewhere in the 1900s. The picture isn't dated, but it seems to have been done in pastels and the frame is the original.

I've been trying to identify the uniform myself, but I'm really not sure where to look. We don't know any specifics, and everyone my mom and I could ask about this is gone, so any help would be much appreciated. Thanks so much!

Edit 4/23: I took new photos with my webcam--these are smaller but much clearer. :)

Last edited: Apr 23, 2017
  2. Bro. Stewart P.M.

Bro. Stewart P.M. Lead Moderator Staff Member

Looks like a classic York Rite Commandry (Knights Templar) uniform to me.

Warrior1256 likes this.
  3. Elexir

Elexir Registered User

But does the KT uniform really have a sash?

4. goomba

goomba Neo-Antient Site Benefactor

Bro. Stewart P.M. likes this.
  5. Marina-R

Marina-R Registered User

Thanks for all your responses! I'll look into lodges around Philly at the time and see what I can find.

6. Keith C

Keith C Registered User

Contact the Grand Lodge of Pennsylvania. The library staff there is AMAZING!. The following link will take you to the Library page of the Grand Lodge Website: https://pamasonictemple.org/library/

In the lower left corner is a section on Genealogy, submit a request and they will, in due time, get back to you with his Masonic history in PA.

On another note, if you ever get to Philly, go take the tour of the Masonic Temple...It is awe inspiring!

tldubb likes this.
  7. Bro. Stewart P.M.

Bro. Stewart P.M. Lead Moderator Staff Member

Yes. As I recall some of the early versions did include a sash of sorts. Of course by the looks of this photo, the triangular shaped black apron wasn't too very far removed.

The chapeau was a big clue for me too...

You are very welcome. Let us know what you end up with!

8. Marina-R

Marina-R Registered User

That's super cool! I didn't know about this, thank you! You know, we really should go see it--I like any excuse to take a train.

When my mom told me about this picture, I was hoping it would be in acrylic or oil, because we could all see the details much easier. But from quick google searches, it seems that it is indeed an early KT uniform. :)

Bro. Stewart P.M. likes this.
  9. Warrior1256

Warrior1256 Site Benefactor

Yep, sure is.
    It did in earlier days.

Share My Freemasonry