My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Helping a brother out

JJones

Let me start off by saying that I believe Masonic charity should start at the lodge. It well and good to donate a ton of money to charity but it seems to me that something is wrong if we can't help our own when they come into hard times.

We have two brethren at my lodge, a FC and an EA. One of them found out he lost his job today and the other has a kid on the way and is unsure how they're going to be able to get by. So my question is this: how can a lodge go about helping out it's brethren financially if it comes down to it? I've read where some lodges pass the hat around and ask for donations during stating meetings but I don't know if that's legal here in Texas and I'm not sure how effective it'd be anyhow. It could be brought up and voted on during stated meeting however I'd like to be able to avoid naming names and I'd also hate for the brethren to feel awkward about it as they sit and listen to the discussion.

I guess I'm just looking for thoughts and advise on the matter if anyone has two cents or more to toss in.

widows son

Premium Member
Sure on the laws down there but I think the hat idea would be good if there is enough people who agree on it. A fundraiser might also be beneficial but some people might not want to be a charity case. My advice would be to form a committee and see what other opinions are. I truly feel for you brother, if I wouldn't be set back I'd give all my money away to those who need it. Even ask the GL for ideas of ways to help your fellow brethren out. I hope the best for you and your brothers

Bill Lins

Moderating Staff
Staff Member
how can a lodge go about helping out it's brethren financially if it comes down to it? I've read where some lodges pass the hat around and ask for donations during stating meetings but I don't know if that's legal here in Texas

It's perfectly legal. The Lodge can also vote to give or lend funds under its control to the needy Brethren and/or hold fundraisers to benefit them. We've done it both for needy Brethren and for others in need in our community. Part of what our Fraternity is supposed to be about.

Kenneth Lottman

We just started at our last stated meeting passing the hat. What we do with the the money is help out a brother in the lodge (if one is need of it) or take it to a local charity. (Food bank, meals on wheels or if we know of a family in need) the first night we ended up with $250 bucks among 20 men not a bad start.

MarkR

Premium Member
The almoner's fund in my Scottish Rite Valley is in very good shape, and the almoner is quick to cut a check when he finds out about a brother in hard straits.

rpbrown

Premium Member
If they are a FC or EA, have the WM open in a Masters lodge, bring it to a vote to assist them, then close the Masters lodge and open in a lower lodge. This way they are not in the room and have no idea what is being voted on so as not to embarrass them.

JJones

This is all good info, thanks brethren.

If they are a FC or EA, have the WM open in a Masters lodge, bring it to a vote to assist them, then close the Masters lodge and open in a lower lodge. This way they are not in the room and have no idea what is being voted on so as not to embarrass them.

We tend to open in a Masters and call down, so that'd work. As you pointed out however, that only works so long as they aren't a MM themselves so it'll only work temporarily.

I might just look into the practice of passing the hat around as well and see where that takes me.

rpbrown

Premium Member
This is all good info, thanks brethren.

We tend to open in a Masters and call down, so that'd work. As you pointed out however, that only works so long as they aren't a MM themselves so it'll only work temporarily.

I might just look into the practice of passing the hat around as well and see where that takes me.

I was stating as you said in the original post that it was an EA and FC that didn't have the funds to move forward.