My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

History: Masonry and Conspiracies

Diesan Romero

I never saw Freemasonry as a conspiracy, much less something mystical. I was very clear about what it was before I started. No doubt I was right; Freemasonry is very far from that.

However, I have read books and references about the Freemason's conspiracy regarding the independence processes. Even in the United States. We all know that George Washington was a prominent Freemason, and other figures related to him.

Since I am a Freemason, too controversial topics, such as politics and religion, have never been touched, which comforts me a lot. Was it always like this? If there was a Masonic conspiracy in the independence processes, were they discussed in an open lodge or not? Is there any severe book about this topics?

In my native country, Cuba, Spanish and rebel Masons belonged to the same lodge; however, it is said that depending on the color of the garments that day, they stayed to conspire for the country's liberty after having closed the lodge.

Winter

Premium Member
I never saw Freemasonry as a conspiracy, much less something mystical. I was very clear about what it was before I started. No doubt I was right; Freemasonry is very far from that.
I think it would be more correct to say that Freemasonry has no mystical element to you. Which is fine. We all get different things from the Craft. But there is a large segment of our Masonic population that does see it as a mystical journey with our Rites and I think that segment has only grown in recent years. At least if the number of Masonic books that explore that aspect of Freemasonry is any key.

Diesan Romero

I think it would be more correct to say that Freemasonry has no mystical element to you.
That's right; I think I used the wrong phrase. I think it is more a view from the Freemason towards Freemasonry. I was Initiated with a very dear brother of mine who sees a lot of spirituality and mystery in Freemasonry.

YoungMasterGabriel

Masonry with out a spiritual aspect is dead. When masonry came to the states which I think is what founded the states I think the friend ship between natives and new society was important I think out side nations and some messed up inner influences could have damaged the look at freemasonry and what I would call a spiritual aspect for sure.

Glen Cook

G A Cook
Site Benefactor
Masonry with out a spiritual aspect is dead. When masonry came to the states which I think is what founded the states I think the friend ship between natives and new society was important I think out side nations and some messed up inner influences could have damaged the look at freemasonry and what I would call a spiritual aspect for sure.
Natives? Huh?

Bloke

Premium Member
Even in the United States. We all know that George Washington was a prominent Freemason, and other figures related to him...... If there was a Masonic conspiracy in the independence processes, were they discussed in an open lodge or not? Is there any severe book about this topics?

In my native country, Cuba, Spanish and rebel Masons belonged to the same lodge; however, it is said that depending on the color of the garments that day, they stayed to conspire for the country's liberty after having closed the lodge.

When you say "independence process" I would think you are speaking in terms of the USA, no, not aware of any credible books but they might be out there... I am not a student of American Freemasonry... but you cannot help get exposed to it because so much is written about it.

Freemasonry in the Spanish Speaking world is interesting but we (English Speakers) often are grossly ignorant of Freemasonry in countries where English is not the main language of the country (or sometimes lodge). Freemasonry in South America is something on my reading lists.. I would like recommendations on good books in English on that myself..

There is a thread on here on The Craft: How the Freemasons Made the Modern World by John Dickie. You might be interested in reading that book https://www.myfreemasonry.com/threads/the-craft-how-the-freemasons-made-the-modern-world.31562/

I believe Freemasonry should be interested in unites not what divides. That's why we stay out of politics, in the words of John Dick, so Freemasonry is a haven from "the turmoil of the world".

Freemasonry, especially "Grand Orients" as opposed to "Grand Lodges" did get involved in politics. The best example I am aware of might be during the Italian Revolution, viz Garibaldi and his Grand Master (who's name escapes me.).

Cuban Freemasonry is another topic I would love to know more about... it is rare that Freemasonry survives a communist revolution.

Diesan Romero

Bloke

Premium Member
There is a very good and recent book about it; but it’s in Spanish: “Del templo al temple; silencio y escándalos de la masonería cubana”.

Take a look very close just in case got translated: https://www.amazon.com/templo-silencios-escándalos-masonería-Spanish/dp/B0BLQYW75V/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?crid=1NV5WMSL6ILL9&keywords=del+templo+al+temple+silencios+y+escandalos&qid=1677423997&sprefix=del+templo+al+,aps,113&sr=8-1
Thank you...sadly my limited language skills don't extend that far, but I can recommend it to some Spanish Speaking Brethren in my lodge who might be interested...