My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

History

tomasball

Premium Member
no...Sayer was the first Grand Master of the Grand Lodge of England (not the UGLE which succeeded it). As I recall, we really have no evidence that Sayer was the Master of a Lodge before being elected Grand Master.

If you really want to find the first record of someone as Worshipful Master of a Lodge, I think you may have to look to Scotland.

Mac

Premium Member
no...Sayer was the first Grand Master of the Grand Lodge of England (not the UGLE which succeeded it). As I recall, we really have no evidence that Sayer was the Master of a Lodge before being elected Grand Master.

If you really want to find the first record of someone as Worshipful Master of a Lodge, I think you may have to look to Scotland.

More specifically, you might contact a brother who is a member of Scotland's Lodge Mother Kilwinning No. 0. If I remember right, they have the oldest Masonic minutes known to us. Of course, the title "Worshipful Master" like that of "Pope" was not necessarily around in the early stages of the organization's history. Some of the exposures I've read have indicated that you were a Master Mason if you were what we today recognize as WM or PM of a Lodge. This pre-dates the Three Degree system we now have, of course.

Is this for a research effort?