My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hoarders--Lodge edition

cacarter

Premium Member
Our lodge had a clean up this past weekend getting ready for the Grand Master's Conference on April 23. And digging through all the rooms we have I found an assortment of items including 3 old--and I do mean old--vacuums, 3 typewriters of varying ages, projectors, chairs, and other items left over from a lodge that consolidated with us 7 years ago. I don't think most, if not any, of it has been used in years. And yet, we don't part with it, saying "Oh we might need it someday."

Is it a common occurrence for lodges to just keep anything and everything that comes into its doors?

RTidwell

No it's not hoarding it's collecting antiques. Yes even the 10 year old can of beans every lodge has but doesn't know where it came from. Hey 01 was a great year for ranch style beans.

Tony Siciliano

Premium Member
ROFL.

Want to take about horders? I just went through the SR degrees a couple of weekends ago... In my goody bag I got a "History of Your Temple" book. From 1967. I also got some Rite Care pamphletef from 1982-ish.

I think it comes down to cost. We paid for it... so that's one less thing we have to buy later.

JTM

"Just in case"
Premium Member
just go up to the lodge and make some of that stuff disappear. anything with no value (sentimental or otherwise) doesn't need to be taking up space.

Benton

Premium Member
If the typewriters etc are in good condition, and really are *that* old, you might be able to sell them to a museum or private collector somewhere. Seriously. Some of that stuff might be worth appraising.

Trash the rest.

cambridgemason

Premium Member
Premium Member
Before you start throwing things away, check first to see what it is. Here in Massachusetts, we have over the years had many a Lodge merger, and building clean out. Some items we throw away, purely by accident. Of course some items such as broken fans, vaccums, computers can be removed, but other items that perhaps you have no idea what it is, ask first. It is always good to clean house, you never know what you may find.

RTidwell

robert leachman said:
Got rid of the ashtrays!!!!

I hope they weren't Masonic ashtrays. Those are getting hard to find. I managed to find one that was ment for cigars and had to pay a little more than I wanted but it's worth it.

HKTidwell

Premium Member
We had this discussion a couple weeks ago at our lodge, seems we have collected quite a few things over the years. Part of it we are planning on keeping for historical reason but have decided we will be going through everything in the near future to determine what should be kept or not. One of the problems you potentially encounter is that Brother X passed away and donated an item 20 years ago. The new brethren do not know about this history and can upset a older brother. I would caution others when proceeding with this laudable undertaking to do so in a manner that everybody is aware of and has a chance to say where something came from.

I think guys in particular tend to be hoarders of certain items because we think hey I can use this later for XYZ. We never get around to doing XYZ but we always think we will. At least in regards to my shop I do this.

jwhoff

Premium Member
I really hate to bring this up. But ... but ... well ... has anyone taken a look in the refrigerator lately?

I told you I hated to bring it up.