My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Holy Scriptures

jonesvilletexas

Premium Member
I just had a thought, I know that does not happen too often, the other night we were talking at the lodge about a man declaring that he believes in God or a god, and that it could be any god of his couch. And I have no problem with that, well he hit me about the question on the petition (30) the last statement (and the Divine authenticity of the Holy Scriptures?) Well I checked with Grand Lodge and was told that the scriptures in Texas in the KJV of the Holy Bible. So with that side would that limit someone in who they profess to believe in? This is NOT a debate just a thought.

30. Do you seriously declare, upon your honor, that you firmly believe in the existence of God, the immortality of the soul, and the Divine authenticity of the Holy Scriptures? Answer

Bill Lins

Moderating Staff
Staff Member
Just as the proper question should be "Do you seriously declare, upon your honor, that you firmly believe in the existence of a Supreme Being", the "Holy Scriptures" refers to whatever book is held to be holy by the candidate. The Committee on Work prescribes that the book of the candidate's choice is to be upon the altar for him to take his obligation upon. Would you believe his obligation to be binding if he took it upon a book not of his faith?

rhitland

Founding Member
Premium Member
Yeah I always explain this question to the candidates that it does not necessarily mean the bible, it would depend upon their believe. I have had many intresting comments about that question and am conflicted, on one side it doees make us look like we prescribe to a certian religion but at the same time it has opened the door for conversation with candidateds that allow me to really get to know them and the tolerance they have for others religous believes.

Dana

I think it is interesting myself..... it opens the lodge to so many cultures that way.... the Most religions are based on the same God just different versions of the story but Budists and hmmm I am at a losss.... Zen.... Hendu......uhhnmmmm well you get what I mean they all could feel open and able to to the oath and feel at ease that they are vowing to what they feel to be holy. It is comforting to me to know the lodge adjusts and does not exclude based on race relgion ...just if you are a moral upstanding man.

cemab4y

Premium Member
A candidate for Masonry, may take the oaths on the Volume of Sacred Law, that the candidate accepts as a VSL. I once assisted a muslim man in taking his Fellow Craft oath, on the Holy Qu'Ran. I consider this one of the high points of my Masonic Career. I attended lodges in Saudi Arabia, where the Holy Bible and the Holy Qu'Ran are placed, side by side.

Jamesb

What if a person is a member of a religion that does not have a "scripture" ie Native American, or the like?
Just a question.
Knowledge is power!

Dana

Jamesb that is a good question... and cemab4y... WOW.. that would be so cool to see the Bible and the Qu'Ran side by side, they started out the same book until one little slip.. lol Any way I think it would be amazing and wonderful to see everywhere.

JBD

Premium Member
Well all I can say is one of us on this thread has a Muslim SW
The GL answer is suspect please PM who you spoke with on the issue, I will be in a situation this weekend to see several GL officers and would like to get the correct answer but want to do it in a way that does not cross the person who answered you.

Sirius

What if a person is a member of a religion that does not have a "scripture" ie Native American, or the like?
Just a question.
Knowledge is power!

Just a guess, The Holy Bible would be used to symbolically represent the sacred teachings of the faith of said candidate.

jonesvilletexas

Premium Member
This was told to me by the Grand Secretary.
I have looked and I cannot find in the Grand Lodge Law, that says it must be the KJV, although that is the Bible we use in our Lodges in Texas, and yes a man can put the book of his faith on the alter with the Holy Bible, BUT the Holy Bible CANNOT e removed or replaced.

JBD

Premium Member
This was told to me by the Grand Secretary.
I have looked and I cannot find in the Grand Lodge Law, that says it must be the KJV, although that is the Bible we use in our Lodges in Texas, and yes a man can put the book of his faith on the alter with the Holy Bible, BUT the Holy Bible CANNOT e removed or replaced.

Yes this is my understanding as well from the same reliable source you referenced. I will ask about it with RW and others ths weekend.

Oh and yes it has to be KJV

Dana

The Rainbow girls is so less complicated than you men.. lol We have the Bible open on the alter and then a smaller book of faith to press against their heart. The smaller book of faith is their book of faith. But I noticed when my son went into DeMolay that there was only one and they did not press the Bible to their hearts so that must just be a girl thing.

HKTidwell

Premium Member
I noticed a reference to Hindu, Doesn't Hindu believe in multiple gods. If so wouldn't that disqualify them?

This is just a question, for clarification.