My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How 'bout active blood donors?

kmfisher1

We all know how near and dear blood drives are to us.
Any others out there that are as passionate in donating themselves and their blood to the cause?
Don't forget to use the Scottish Rite Hospital credit number of 1620 and that each Lodge needs a number too. Or if you don't have one you can always send your credits to #032477. :)
Interested in hearing how many others are in the multiple gallon donation range?
S&F,
Kurt

Hippie19950

Premium Member
I donate any time I find one of the "Blood Mobile's" in town. I am AB+, so it is somewhat of a given I should donate when I can. I tell the story that when I was in the military, I was issued a spigot in my arm, so they could draw off a pint or two when they needed it. All blood is needed though, and if you can give, it is one of the easiest ways to save a life. Well, easier than donating your liver or heart!!

JTM

"Just in case"
Premium Member
i used to every 3 months for like 2-3 years. then my iron levels got too low and they said i couldn't anymore.

Nate C.

I have been a regular donor for years. Had a message on the phone tonight that I was overdue to get back in there.

cemab4y

Premium Member
When I was on active duty in the Air Force, I got a three day pass every time I gave a pint. So I was at the head of the line every 6 weeks. When I was in college, I gave blood a lot, no days off, I just got into the habit.

But in 1983, I started doing international work. I have had so many shots, and spent so much time in third-world countries, that I will not be able to give blood again for at least two years, after I leave Afghanistan.

dfreybur

Premium Member
I've been a regular donator for years but we have moved around a lot so I have no idea how many gallons I have donated. We stayed in Chicago metro for a decade so I could look up most of my donations during that time. There are two donation groups there so it wouldn't be exact. I have no idea if "double red blood cells" count as one or as two.

The local rule here in Texas is 8 weeks plus 1 day. That extra day means I don't show up exactly at the 8 week point any more. I'd occasionally gone 9 or 10 weeks between donations in the past but now it is my standard going forward. My calendar entry for the next time is Jan 18th.

cemab4y

Premium Member
I remember seeing a lapel pin for sale some years ago. It was a blood drop, with a square and compasses in gold. I thought, what a terrific incentive to have these pins for a Masonic blood drive.

Our lodge tried a blood drive at the lodge building some years ago. We did not get much participation.