How do we recognize Freemasonry that has come through another culture?

Discussion in 'Philosophy, Religion and Spirituality' started by JamestheJust, Mar 20, 2017.

1. JamestheJust

JamestheJust Registered User

Personally I find it more reliable to track the origins of the ritual. Ritual practice is much more complex and detailed than a written claim.

2. Roy_

Roy_ Registered User

Chris Earnshaw has just published three books through Lewis Masonic. He investigates the influences on "the first three Grand Masters" who he says "revived" Freemasonry and wrote the rituals. One "may have been an alchemist", another a 'spiritual scientist'. He sees a lot of influence of the Christian Newton. Also interesting, he follows the tracks of a Chinese Jesuit who 'toured Europe' and may well have been responsible for Chinese influences in the second degree. All comes with good foundations.
    So the question of this thread may not be, to what can we trace back Masonic symbolism, but rather to whom and what were their interests?

3. JamestheJust

>Chinese influences in the second degree.

As a very old civilisation, it is quite possible that there were Chinese influences in Europe long before the current Western culture. Certainly in China there are ancient remains of European humans.

Are there particular aspects of the second degree that are relevant?

4. Roy_

Roy_ Registered User

The author has lived in the far East for many years and when he received a Daoistic 'initiation by light' he saw many similarities to Freemasonry.
    Like I said, there was a Chinese convert (Shen FuZong) who traveled through Europe and also met people involved in (or who had influence to) the "revival" and so Dao and I Ching can be found in especially the first degree (sorry, I mixed that up, it's the third book of the series, but mostly about the first degree, the second degree is alchemistic and the third Christian and based on Medieval mystery plays).
    Some "correspondences" include there's sun and moon in both temples, three lights, the candidate has to take off a shoe, there's a sacred text on the altar, there's three 'saints' in both systems, both systems are open to people of different faiths.

Earnshaw's books are both historical and comparative. I heard that one of them is free for people with a Kindle subscription.

5. JamestheJust

The parallels between modern Freemasonry and ancient Chinese practices are well known. Perhaps the question is whether European Freemasonry came from China or whether there was a common source for both.

Personally I go for the common source as there are also ancient practices very like Freemasonry in other widely separated countries.

Did Freemasonry in its many ancient forms come from the Blazing Star? If so, does the ladder tell us we must return to our source?

6. Elexir

Elexir Registered User

From malkuth to kether?

7. JamestheJust

>From malkuth to kether?

The Tree of Life with its 10 sephira has 3 pairs so that the ToL is a 7 runged ladder - just as in Freemasonry and in Mithraic ritual.

Above the ToL ladder we find Ain, Ain Soph, and Ain Soph Aur rather reminding me of the Three Principals of Holy Royal Arch.

Ain appears in ancient Egypt as An, the god of millions of years who traveled in a boat of millions of years. He was also called Holy Arch since he was thought to have come from the Pole Star around which the arch of the heavens rotates.

8. Bloke

Bloke Premium Member

I missed your point too...

TheThumbPuppy likes this.
  9. Luigi Visentin

Luigi Visentin Registered User

Likely my opinion is much more heretic than others but I have pretty clear idea about the origin of Freemasonry.

A Freemason, Francis Drake, closed a speech uring a Masonic event in 1726 with these words:

Since we are so happily met to celebrate this Annual Solemnity: let neither Dane nor Norman, Goth nor Vandal, start up, to disturb the Harmony of it: That the World may hear and admire, that even at this critical Time all Parties are buried in Masonry. But let us so behave our selves here and elsewhere, that the distinguishing Characteristicks of the whole Brotherhood may be to be called Good Christians, Loyal Subjects, True Brittons, as well as Free-Masons

Freemasonry was born among the Britons. I mean the "celtic Britons", that is the ancient inhabitants of british isles even if they are not restricted to what is called now "Great Britain" and neither to the "pure Britons" as "Mason" identifies a type of worker. The Legend of York or Legend of the Craft (that is Halliwell and all the other manuscripts) tells the story of these Britons in a concealed form. If this story is real or fabricated I cannot tell but I have deciphered it and have found that is plausible and conforms to the "profane" history, as I explain in an eBook that I have published a couple of months ago. And this "conformity" is based on this "briton" origin also because there are a number of references inside our ancient manuscripts and symbols that are strictly related to this origin.

About the teachings, of originals there are some hermetic and christian roots and an own philosophy derived mainly by mithraism (nothing to do with Persian religion). All the other influences arrived later: on the beginning of eighteenth century Freemasonry entered in a crisis and some Freemasons decided to rebuild it in another form. And in this new form many contributors introduced a lot of different teachings from different sources, but basically the first translation was in the Christian Kabbalah (remember the Good Christians above), then abandoned for the Hebraic Kabbalah. Rosicrucian, for example, and others simply are parts of the new contributions.

The ancient manuscripts must be read considering that most of real names were hidden under nicknames in order to conceal the real content of the story. Therefore Egypt is not the real Egypt as Nimrod, Babylon, king David or Solomon and others were not the biblical ones. But there are many non Masonic resources that refers to them in the same way of the Legend of the Craft.

Share My Freemasonry