How do you carry your weight and maintain bearing?

Discussion in 'Masonic Education' started by MorallyandMoral, May 7, 2020.

1. MorallyandMoral

MorallyandMoral Registered User

Very newbie here; but, deeply researched and thought through. I carry my own weight of enormous moral responsibility initiated through a very VERY deep study of philosophy and Stoicism. I cannot imagine how Marcus Aurelius carried the weight of the Roman Empire, or Epictetus with his lame leg.

Yet, Freemasons carry such enormous weight that I find it incomprehensible.

How do you carry that weight and maintain your bearing, fellow brothers?

2. JamestheJust

JamestheJust Registered User

The Spirit is never contaminated by the actions of the personality.
    or:
    Gita 5:10 One who performs his duty without attachment, surrendering the results unto the Supreme God, is not affected by sinful action, as the lotus leaf is untouched by water.

3. MorallyandMoral

MorallyandMoral Registered User

Without attachment this is not possible. Is it?

4. JamestheJust

JamestheJust Registered User

>Without attachment this is not possible. Is it?

Quite so. The average human is more attached to his/her self-image than possessions or relationships.

I recall a woman, about 40, who attended a workshop to meet the personal will that operates the defence system for the host human. Everyone in the workshop saw themselves in a mirror or the Christ, or scenarios based on streets paved with gold. She understood that she had failed to see her personal will

That was on the Thursday night. So she meditated for hours each night to push past the personal will (dweller on the threshold) until the following Wednesday at 2 am when she succeeded - and she saw that all the good works she had done over the decades had been done so that she could feel better about herself.

Such is the fundamental attachment of humans.

It is common in week-long spiritual workshops that Wednesday is the make or break point.

5. tomoso

tomoso Registered User

It ain't heavy, I've got Brothers

Matt L and Bloke like this.
  6. jermy Bell

jermy Bell Registered User

I don't think I've ever been vain. I only use the mirror to shave.

Share My Freemasonry