My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How to choose the path after MM

JanneProeliator

Now I'm just an EA hoping to get my second and perhaps eaven my third degree by the end of the year but I have been pondering how to continue the journey as a mason after the third degree.
We have the most common orders and rites available the York rite, Scottish rite, order of mark master mason etc. I have no knowledge on how to choose one or what is the path that I'm taking if I choose to go one way or another.

How did you choose your journey of the extra degrees ?

Warrior1256

Site Benefactor
You wait till your raised, then once you feel you have MASTERED the degrees sufficiently then you choose which way you want to go
Agreed. I was advised to wait 6 months, or longer, after being raised to join an appendant body. Get to know what is expected in Blue Lodge before going elsewhere. What you would learn in the Scottish Rite or York Rite (can't speak for others) are extensions to the knowledge you gain in Blue Lodge.

LK600

Premium Member
Agreed. I was advised to wait 6 months, or longer, after being raised to join an appendant body. Get to know what is expected in Blue Lodge before going elsewhere. What you would learn in the Scottish Rite or York Rite (can't speak for others) are extensions to the knowledge you gain in Blue Lodge.

From what I have read / been told, I think in many places waiting 6 months is a pre-requisite.

Brother_Steve

Premium Member
I would look to at least entertain the idea of getting involved in your lodge before you decide on joining SR or YR.

I joined SR in 2015 just two years after being raised. I went with other Brothers from my lodge as we all did it together. I was an officer in my lodge and I am still one today. I'm 40 with a young son and a family. I had to make a choice. I kept my membership in SR but I devote my time solely to my blue lodge. I will do this until I'm out of the East if I get the chance to make it that far.

Warrior1256

Site Benefactor
I had to make a choice. I kept my membership in SR but I devote my time solely to my blue lodge.
I'm the SW in my lodge but I am retired and my children grown and gone so that I can put a lot of time into my lodge / rite activities and still spend quality time with my wife.

CLewey44

I would maybe consider see about becoming an officer in the lodge and utilize the time you would devote to SR or YR and put it towards the blue lodge. However, YR and SR are available and I have heard they both have great degrees. York Rite, KT in particular, are a Christian Order or at least you must be willing to defend it in some areas. There are other options outside of YR and SR and it just really depends on your interests too. Are you military? Are you interested in the esoteric side of things? Are you interested in Grotto or Shriners maybe? High 12...OES if married (or not married is fine too), get involved with the Demolay maybe...lots of great options.

JanneProeliator

Thank you all for your answers. By no mesns I'm trying to hurry. I know I have a long way to go and I am planning to enjoy my time with my blue lodge.
It just came to my mind today that when the time comes that I have time for it how do I know witch direction to go.
But I quess like everything in Masoney that too shal lbe clear to me once the time is right for it. :)

LK600

Premium Member
Thank you all for your answers. By no mesns I'm trying to hurry. I know I have a long way to go and I am planning to enjoy my time with my blue lodge.
It just came to my mind today that when the time comes that I have time for it how do I know witch direction to go.
But I quess like everything in Masoney that too shal lbe clear to me once the time is right for it. :)
I would be the last person to suggest your trying to hurry. By nature, I'm always the one who jumps in feet first no stop. I have to remember not to sacrifice the present for visions of the future if you get what I mean. Good luck my friend.

JanneProeliator

I would be the last person to suggest your trying to hurry. By nature, I'm always the one who jumps in feet first no stop. I have to remember not to sacrifice the present for visions of the future if you get what I mean. Good luck my friend.
I get it 100%. I'm just like that. I'm spontanious and willing to advance. But my journey to become a freemason has been a long one and not that simple either. At least if nothing else it has teached me to be more patient. :)

goomba

Neo-Antient
Site Benefactor
Before I ever petitioned I knew I also wanted to join the YR. After I was raised I waited about 9 months before joining. Why did I choose the YR? Because of the Royal Arch Degree. Yes I know the AASR has a Royal Arch degree (13th I think) as well. But I wanted to go YR because I wanted to.

It is your journey. Others can give you advice and guidance but at the end of the day you choose.

Bill Lins

Moderating Staff
Staff Member
It just came to my mind today that when the time comes that I have time for it how do I know witch direction to go. :)
When the time comes, visit with other Brethren who belong to the various Rites. See what they say & what they like & dislike about their choices. YR & SR (here, anyway) hold open houses occasionally. If they do the same in your jurisdiction, attend & discuss your questions with them. That should help you decide which way, if any, to go.

acjohnson53

You trying to reinvent the wheel, get profient in the preceeding degree, you are like a baby getting ready to take that first step, but always remember the houses you journey to require dues.....lol

JanneProeliator

You trying to reinvent the wheel, get profient in the preceeding degree, you are like a baby getting ready to take that first step, but always remember the houses you journey to require dues.....lol
Who is trying to reinvent the wheel? Me?
Oh no. Like I said this was merely a question of intrest and I'm not trying to create anything new or a new way to do anything old. I am in no hurry personally. I am just interrested in peoples storys and reasonings...

LK600

Premium Member
You trying to reinvent the wheel, get profient in the preceeding degree, you are like a baby getting ready to take that first step,

Well... from my personal view, the process is not a speedy one so (not a complaint), focusing on the first steps, which are not discussed yet, is impossible. It tends to allow much time for one's mind to wonder to other... less immediate aspects. ;)

but always remember the houses you journey to require dues.....lol

That thought has crossed my mind lol.

On edit... ;) http://www.thepastbastard.com/2017/02/grand-lodge-of-nebraska-directs-masons.html

Last edited:

rpbrown

Premium Member
I am a member of SR and have been for a few years. However, I am not active @ SR as I devoted my time to my Blue Lodge. I was in the line and always said I would not get very involved with SR until I left the East. I have now been out of the East a year but now it seems life has gotten in the way. I am still not active in SR and not as much so in my Blue Lodge as I would like to be. Once my business slows down a little, I will become more active in both I hope.