Hymns

Discussion in 'Frequently Asked Questions' started by afrah, Sep 13, 2017.

1. afrah

afrah Registered User

Dear brothers . I have a question. I am a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of latter-day saints. And at the meetings we sing hymns in unison. Whether singing masons in their meetings, choir songs or hymns ? And is there a collection of Masonic songs or hymns ?

2. Bloke

Bloke Premium Member

It varies from place to place, but yes we sing in lodge and during dinner. We call these songs sung in lodge odes not hymns because a lodge is not a church not freemasonry a religion. The songs we sing at dinner - are just songs.

If you Google I'm sure you'll find some.

3. chrmc

chrmc Registered User

Depends a lot on jurisdictions. In the US I don't think there is a strong a tradition of singing as we see in Europe.
    Believe there it'll mainly be at the Festive Board, and rarely in lodge.
    In the GL of Denmark I know it's a mixture of hymns and songs that everyone knows from school etc.

Warrior1256 likes this.
  4. Warrior1256

Warrior1256 Site Benefactor

Same here.

5. afrah

afrah Registered User

Thanks for the detailed response

6. afrah

afrah Registered User

Thanks for your answer

7. afrah

afrah Registered User

Thanks for the reply

8. afrah

afrah Registered User

In general I love Church`s singing :) They are soulful and beautiful

I have not yet found the Masonic singing. But I think they are also beautiful and heartfelt

9. Warrior1256

10. Ripcord22A

Ripcord22A Site Benefactor

Warrior1256 likes this.
  11. Warrior1256

True, I had forgotten this.

12. Center

Center Registered User

Exploiting the fact the forum has a global audience, I have always had a curiosity regarding my absolutely favorite toast song ever, the author should be Richard Rome Bealey in 1866.

my ( possibly not easy to reply) question is: "the courage of Nelson" is referring to his intervention on the gulf of Naples? Thanks

13. afrah

afrah Registered User

Great song. Such energetic and brave. Thanks to your songs I found other wonderful masonic songs.

Center likes this.
  14. Glen Cook

Glen Cook G A Cook Site Benefactor

One of the highlights of my life has been to have this sung by 100brethren at my installation.

Center likes this.
  15. Warrior1256

16. Jason Gilmore

Jason Gilmore Registered User

I wish Texas would bring songs into our ceremonies. In my Lodge, we have a piano and an organ. Only time the organ gets played is at installation. The piano doesn't get used by the Blue Lodge.

17. Mike Martin

Mike Martin Eternal Apprentice Premium Member

Lodges in England generally start their meetings with the Opening Ode : and finish with the Closing Ode:

Some also sing the first verse of the National Anthem (God Save the Queen) whilst still in the Lodge Room while others (like mine) sing it at the Festive Board. The SMIBs are usually sung in the Lodge as well and some Lodges do sing a bit more in Lodge with specific bits that their traditions dictate.

Center likes this.
  18. Warrior1256

The organ at my AASR gets played. We have an organ in the KT Commandery where my mother lodge meets. The only time I have seen it played was at the KT Christmas celebration.

19. afrah

afrah Registered User

I like music from the movie "Eyes Wide Shut". Mysterious music. Masonic music.

20. afrah

afrah Registered User

I very liked it . How to sing well . What a courageous voice. It reminded me of Christmas songs , also romantic and festive.

Share My Freemasonry