My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I want to be a Freemason

Baha125

Hi Guys,

Thanks for Accepting me as member here.

I am From Jordan - Amman and I would like to Join the Mason Team In Jordan - Amman and i sent an email to Scotland because this is what i found in my research online, most of the guys indicate to the same things which is sending an email to Scotland team , i sent it before 1 month asking for Jordan Lodge Location But with no reply till this moment.

Can you please help me guys ?

GrandJojo

Freemasonry in Jordan is technically forbidden, but also technically tolerated, as long as it does not have a public face. There is therefore no public building you can visit nor anyone you can meet unannounced. The Lodge meeting I attended in Amman was in an apartment that has been arranged for the purpose. It is very discreet, the members are discreet. Because of the political landscape of Jordan, they are very careful with candidates - specially ones that have no sponsors.

Baha125

Freemasonry in Jordan is technically forbidden, but also technically tolerated, as long as it does not have a public face. There is therefore no public building you can visit nor anyone you can meet unannounced. The Lodge meeting I attended in Amman was in an apartment that has been arranged for the purpose. It is very discreet, the members are discreet. Because of the political landscape of Jordan, they are very careful with candidates - specially ones that have no sponsors.
Can I contact someone?

Keith C

I sent but no response
When did you send the email?

As an FYI, if you were to live in Pennsylvania, USA and sent such an email to the Grand Lodge of Pennsylvania, you wouldn't hear a response for 2 months or longer. The request would go to the Grand Secretaries Office, where someone wouldlook at the location and decide which District to send the inquiry to. Eventually it would be sent to the District Deputy Grand Master. He would review it and decide which Lodge to send it to. It would then go to the Worshipful Master of that Lodge, who would review it, share it with the Lodge Secretary, then he or someone designated to inquire into prospective petitioners would get in touch with the person who put in the inquiry.

You sent your request to another Country entirely.

It takes patience.

Baha125

When did you send the email?

As an FYI, if you were to live in Pennsylvania, USA and sent such an email to the Grand Lodge of Pennsylvania, you wouldn't hear a response for 2 months or longer. The request would go to the Grand Secretaries Office, where someone wouldlook at the location and decide which District to send the inquiry to. Eventually it would be sent to the District Deputy Grand Master. He would review it and decide which Lodge to send it to. It would then go to the Worshipful Master of that Lodge, who would review it, share it with the Lodge Secretary, then he or someone designated to inquire into prospective petitioners would get in touch with the person who put in the inquiry.

You sent your request to another Country entirely.

It takes patience.
For two weeks I have been calling but no answer

Mike Martin

Eternal Apprentice
Premium Member
There are some things that you need to be aware of and the first is that this is not going to be a quick process for you as you don't have a Freemason to ask about joining his Lodge.

The very first thing is that a masonic Lodge is not some kind of corporate body but a group of men who share the same hobby and of which a handful volunteer to take on the Offices (running) of the Lodge in their spare time while their lives are going on just like everyone else's so reaction times will be slow. The closest thing to "corporate" is a Grand Lodge which might, depending on it's size, have a couple of employees available to answer all the random emails that arrive, so even there don't expect corporate level response times.

It is worth highlighting that if you don't already have a Proposer joining a Lodge is a slow process even without C19 and you're using the slowest possible as you're going through the Grand Lodge first. What will be happening at some point is someone from the Grand Lodge will contact you to find out more about you, what you do and why you want to join. Then they, assuming they're happy with your answers, will pass your info to a Lodge Secretary somewhere. Then the Lodge Secretary will try to find a couple of members of the Lodge to volunteer to get to know you to the point where they are happy signing off that you're not going to harm the harmony of their Lodge. (It took me over a year from first contact with my Mother Lodge to actually being Initiated.) So you just need to understand that you are only starting what can be a quite long process.

Baha125

There are some things that you need to be aware of and the first is that this is not going to be a quick process for you as you don't have a Freemason to ask about joining his Lodge.

The very first thing is that a masonic Lodge is not some kind of corporate body but a group of men who share the same hobby and of which a handful volunteer to take on the Offices (running) of the Lodge in their spare time while their lives are going on just like everyone else's so reaction times will be slow. The closest thing to "corporate" is a Grand Lodge which might, depending on it's size, have a couple of employees available to answer all the random emails that arrive, so even there don't expect corporate level response times.

It is worth highlighting that if you don't already have a Proposer joining a Lodge is a slow process even without C19 and you're using the slowest possible as you're going through the Grand Lodge first. What will be happening at some point is someone from the Grand Lodge will contact you to find out more about you, what you do and why you want to join. Then they, assuming they're happy with your answers, will pass your info to a Lodge Secretary somewhere. Then the Lodge Secretary will try to find a couple of members of the Lodge to volunteer to get to know you to the point where they are happy signing off that you're not going to harm the harmony of their Lodge. (It took me over a year from first contact with my Mother Lodge to actually being Initiated.) So you just need to understand that you are only starting what can be a quite long process.
The messages did not reach them

Mike Martin

Eternal Apprentice
Premium Member
That, I'm afraid, is what can happen when you live in a country where western style fraternities and groups are not particularly welcome. All you can do is keep trying or find a different hobby.

Winter

Premium Member
The messages did not reach them
This is only the first of likely to many difficulties you will face as you try to join an organization that is seen by many governments in that region as a subversive Zionist plot. But if it is something you genuinely want to do then persevere and understand that the process will take time. It may help to understand the history of Freemasonry there.

Extract from World of Freemasonry (2 vols) Bob Nairn

Baha125

This is only the first of likely to many difficulties you will face as you try to join an organization that is seen by many governments in that region as a subversive Zionist plot. But if it is something you genuinely want to do then persevere and understand that the process will take time. It may help to understand the history of Freemasonry there.

Extract from World of Freemasonry (2 vols) Bob Nairn
How much time does it take

Winter

Premium Member
How much time does it take
There is no set timetable. It all depends on connecting with one or more Freemasons in that area and then probably however long it takes them to get comfortable with you before they introduce you to the Lodge. If you are looking for a quick entrance to Freemasonry there you will most likely be disappointed.

Baha125

There is no set timetable. It all depends on connecting with one or more Freemasons in that area and then probably however long it takes them to get comfortable with you before they introduce you to the Lodge. If you are looking for a quick entrance to Freemasonry there you will most likely be disappointed.
Unable to communicate with someone in Jordan

Winter

Premium Member
Without having any knowledge of current international travel restrictions or of your personal circumstances, I ask this: would the Grand Lodge of Lebanon (that is a hyperlink) be an option for you?
If you want to recommend Freemasonry in Lebanon:

The Grand Lodge of Scotland operates the District Grand Lodge of Lebanon with several Lodges chartered

The Grand Lodge of New York operates the District Grand Lodge of Syria-Lebanon also with several Lodges chartered

The Grand Lodge of the District of Columbia looks like they have one Lodge chartered in Beirut

Everything else in Lebanon is Irregular, Unrecognized or outright Clandestine.

Glen Cook

G A Cook
Site Benefactor
Well, the GL of Lebanon is not widely recognised, but it is regular in my personal view.

GLNF has a single lodge there.

One of the two Italian GLs does as well.

Winter

Premium Member
Well, the GL of Lebanon is not widely recognised, but it is regular in my personal view.

GLNF has a single lodge there.

One of the two Italian GLs does as well.
Good to know about the other Regular Recognized lodges. I don't know enough of the GLofL itself. But aren't there some other clandy groups there as well? I seem to remember someone mentioning them.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk