My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I want to join mainstream

FutureMasonVA

Hello everyone,
I am writing because I wan to join mainstream, but I live in a very racist place and there are no black in the lodges near me. I am the kind of person who likes diversity and neither the mainstream lodges or the prince hall lodge offer that. What should I do?

Bloke

Premium Member
Hello everyone,
I am writing because I wan to join mainstream, but I live in a very racist place and there are no black in the lodges near me. I am the kind of person who likes diversity and neither the mainstream lodges or the prince hall lodge offer that. What should I do?

Hi. Have you made contact with these lodges? If not, you're making a lot of assumptions in your statement about prejudice and diversity.

Where are you located ?

FutureMasonVA

Hi. Have you made contact with these lodges? If not, you're making a lot of assumptions in your statement about prejudice and diversity.

Where are you located ?
I have made contact with some in the Prince Hall. I have emailed the lodge in my town and no luck in getting a response. I am not make assumptions about the organization I am just saying about my area, and I feel that the way whites and non-whites interact may translate into the organization. I am located in southampton, va.

Bloke

Premium Member
I have made contact with some in the Prince Hall. I have emailed the lodge in my town and no luck in getting a response. I am not make assumptions about the organization I am just saying about my area, and I feel that the way whites and non-whites interact may translate into the organization. I am located in southampton, va.

Freemasonry should be colour blind, all that should matter is your character. Sadly, some Freemasons fail dismally there, and in some places, whole lodges do and even Grand Lodges have, but you obviously done some background reading on this issue.

Just remember lodges are run by volunteers and are not a business - it can take them a while to respond. That can be true even for freemasons trying to contact them.

As Rip alludes, other threads recommend you just go knocking at the door, but don't assume anything about the character and composition of your local lodge until you actually find out... if they are racist, you don't want to be in them. If my lodges were racist, I would not want to be in them.

But don't expect the worst ...

I'm in Australia but I'm sure more American bros will chime in.

Every success in your quest!

dfreybur

Premium Member
In my state I know of towns I won't return to because of racism I witnessed. But I also know of diverse towns not far from those places. I don't know if that's the case in your region. Are you willing to drive further?

Answering your question more directly - Few lodges are good at responding to email. Never wait a minute for an email response. Look up when they meet. Go there an hour before their meeting. Knock on the door. Meet the guys. Ask for a petition. Equally true for either branch of our family in the US.

FutureMasonVA

So I went to the Prince Hall lodge in my county, But I have a couple of questions.
  • Why do I have to get a physics?
  • If I start at this lodge and move next year before I start my process can I transfer it to a different lodge?
  • Since I have to get two people to sign off on my petition can they also write my reference?
  • Does PHA hazed, I didn't get a definite No?

BullDozer Harrell

So I went to the Prince Hall lodge in my county, But I have a couple of questions.
  • Why do I have to get a physics?
  • If I start at this lodge and move next year before I start my process can I transfer it to a different lodge?
  • Since I have to get two people to sign off on my petition can they also write my reference?
  • Does PHA hazed, I didn't get a definite No?

BullDozer Harrell

These questions seem very important to you. I would suggest that you follow-up with another email, and arrange a lunch or dinner with one of the lodge members.
The questions are too general for us to answer on behalf of the lodge you're attempting to gain affiliation.
Freemasonry is spread across the globe but there are subtle differences in customs, rules and practices.

Bloke

Premium Member
These questions seem very important to you. I would suggest that you follow-up with another email, and arrange a lunch or dinner with one of the lodge members.
The questions are too general for us to answer on behalf of the lodge you're attempting to gain affiliation.
Freemasonry is spread across the globe but there are subtle differences in customs, rules and practices.
Getting a physical, that sounds a bit weird....

dfreybur

Premium Member
Why do I have to get a physics?

Masonry started as a trade union. Among other spending, some dues went to disability payments. As such candidates had to start out with sound bodies. Not all jurisdictions have dropped this requirement.

If I start at this lodge and move next year before I start my process can I transfer it to a different lodge?

Once you submit your petition you are under the authority of that lodge until you have completed all of your three degrees and their proficiencies. Other lodges can present your degrees but it's a lot more paperwork. If you do not yet have a stable domicile now is not the time to petition.
Since I have to get two people to sign off on my petition can they also write my reference?

That varies by jurisdiction. In my mother jurisdiction (not PHA) everyone who signed was questioned separately.
Does PHA hazed, I didn't get a definite No?

EVERY valid jurisdiction forbids hazing. If yours hazes, they are definitely not valid. Whether the ban on hazing is enforced universally, I can't say with certainty. What I can say with certainty is entire lodges have been kicked out for doing hazing.