My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Inquiry about Crimes

Clovis R Cassiani

Greetings gentlemen, I have a question that came up last weekend.

A Master from a Lodge in a nearby city (I'm located in Brazil), was found guilty of corruption, money laundry and other issues with the law. His arrest was quite an event for the small community (Pop. <20000)
He is now "behind bars".

My question is: What happens to the lodge ? How this event affects the other masons ?

Thank you.

Brother JC

Moderating Staff
Staff Member
He is not the first Mason to fall to human frailty, nor will he be the last. The officers of the lodge will fill the vacancy and move forward, hopefully without too great of a stain on the lodge's reputation.

dfreybur

Premium Member
In my jurisdictions the Grand Master is required to expel any Brother who is convicted of a felony. There is a significant amount of paperwork that is different in every jurisdiction. Not all jurisdictions have this process so you may need to hold a Masonic trial to expel him. As he is behind bars getting a conviction should be on a straight path.

Each jurisdiction has its own rules for who takes over in the case of an absent Worshipful Master. In some it's the most recent Worshipful Master. In others it's the Wardens. Go with the rules of your own jurisdiction.

Sympathies for this disappointment.

Clovis R Cassiani

As I mentioned on another thread, this was the lodge I was planning to send my petition.
This kind of shocked me, and thus worried me about the future of the lodge. But I still have the feeling that I should send it anyway, perhaps as soon as they reorganise.
Thanks for the comments @dfreybur .

MarkR

Premium Member
As I mentioned on another thread, this was the lodge I was planning to send my petition.
This kind of shocked me, and thus worried me about the future of the lodge. But I still have the feeling that I should send it anyway, perhaps as soon as they reorganise.
Thanks for the comments @dfreybur .
I wouldn't worry too much about the future of the lodge. I can't speak for how things work in Brazil, but here the Senior Warden would move to the Master's chair until the next election, and unless the lodge was already on shaky ground it should be fine.

Warrior1256

Site Benefactor
In my jurisdictions the Grand Master is required to expel any Brother who is convicted of a felony.
Same here. In our case the Senior Warden would take over as WM for the unexpired term if the Senior Warden was willing. If not then the junior Past Master would serve the unexpired term.